SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
service1956

Chamberlain Opener problem

service1956
8 years ago

I have a Chamberlain Whisper Drive model WD832KD 1/2 HP Belt drive opener. The problem I have is that when I open it in the morning, it jerks up & down the first 4-6 inches, then smooths out and opens normally. Closing it, it jerks some but, not as violently as when being opened. I disconnect the door from the opener and all is well there. The door is balanced and runs smoothly up and down manually. In fact, the opener passes all safety and other operational factors!

I notice the problem is more noticeable when the door has been closed overnight and then opened in the morning. I thought maybe the "Torsion Springs" may have gotten weak, so I wound them a half turn but did not correct the problem. It seems to me that there is wear "play" some place on the opener that I cannot find. I am now thinking that the trolley that rides on the lift rail may be worn? This up and down jerking has got to be hard on the opener.

I installed the opener back in Sept 2009 and has worked flawlessly until 2 months ago. Any information on what to look for to possibly correct this problem?

Comment