SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My sofa shopping experience today

Sueb20
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This was almost funny but also a lesson in not believing everything a salesperson tells you. I mentioned here a few days ago that I was going to buy a new leather sofa. I knew the one I wanted, because we have the same piece in a loveseat size. It's from Crate and Barrel. (Made by Lee.)

I thought I wanted the color shown in this pic, which is called Winter Pine, but when I got to the store and saw the leather sample IRL, I didn't like it. It is almost an emerald green, and I wanted a more earthy green. There was a booklet of leather samples on the seat and in it there were only about 4-5 colors, mostly browns. I wanted a green, or as a second choice, red. A very important-acting sales guy was rushing around the store dispensing advice to customers right and left, acting so important that I figured he knew a lot, maybe was even a manager. Finally got his attention and asked if the sofa came in other leathers. "Nope," he said. I said, "None? not even non-stock colors?" "Nope, that's it." And he rushed off again. I was surprised, and really bummed, because I knew we wanted This Sofa.

Fortunately, I had time to hang around a bit, so I wandered around the store to see if there were any other sofas that might come in other leather colors, even though I was really sure I wanted THAT sofa, not another one. I actually was on my phone looking up the address of another store that carried my 2nd choice when the guy came back to me, with another salesperson in tow, saying "I was wrong! It does come in other colors." The other sales person led us both over to a secret vault and opened it to reveal a HUGE array of leather color samples. Hello? How did this guy not know this? Turns out he's the New Guy. So I found a gorgeous shade of green, which of course added to the price...but they will hold my order until their upholstery sale starts next month, which also overlaps with "tax free weekend" in MA so I'll save even more, plus I can apply my Designer Rewards discount along with the sale price. So in the end I will get 25% off and no tax.

I guess the lesson here is, always ask TWO salespeople your question!?

And PS I am really excited about this sofa. :)

ETA: This is the color I chose. Not the most accurate representation but it's close.

Comments (16)