SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

What was in Your Shopping Cart Today?

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

I had a fun-filled day plant shopping in Lloydminster today!

This is what I purchased today....

Alchemilla mollis Lady's Mantle (2) (they were on sale for $2 ea!)You can never have too many of these plants!

Aquilegia vulgaris 'Black Barlow' (this is gorgeous!)

Armeria maritima 'Splendens' Sea Thrift (3)

Bergenia cordifolia

Cerastium alpinum lanatum Wooly Cerastium

Chrysanthemum x morifolium FirestormÂ

Chrysanthemum x morifolium TigertailÂ

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Firewitch' Perennial of the Year 2006!

Digitalis grandiflora ÂCarillon (3)

Knautia macedonica (just in case my WS'd seedlings don't make it)

Lamium maculatum 'Anne Greenaway'

Monarda didyma 'Jacob Cline' (wish me luck on this one!)

Papaver orientale 'Turkenlouis'

Penstemon digitalis 'Husker's Red'

Perovskia atriplicifolia Russian Sage (2)

Phlox paniculata 'Pink Flame'

Phlox subulata 'Scarlet Flame'

Potentilla neumanniana 'Nana' Alpine Cinquefoil

Pulsatilla vulgaris Red Clock 'Rode Klokke'

Rodgersia aesculifolia Fingerleaf Rodgers Flower

Sambucus racemosa 'Aurea' Golden Elder

Sempervivum arachnoideum 'Cobweb'

Stachys macrantha 'Rosea' Betony

Annuals

Bacopa Giant Snowflake® (2) (will bring indoors and take cuttings)

Begonia Pin-Up Flame (3)

Datura Variegated

Dracaena (of course I have to buy one every year for the container sitting on the steps)

Fuschias (2) huge baskets on sale at Wal-Mart for only $11.47 ea

Petunia Supertunia® Priscilla (2) (this year for sure I will take cuttings in the fall ;)

Petunia Supertunia® Red (2)

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' (tender, will bring indoors for winter and take cuttings)

Ok, please tell all what you've recently got at the nurseries too? LOL ;)

I still like to take a trip sometime in June to Lois Holes GH, I need more rock/alpine plants ;)

Happy Gardening Everyone!

Sharon

Comments (45)

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Lewisia cotyledon
    Primula denticulata (white)
    Primula rosea
    Violas (freebee)

Hummingbird feeder
    Bag of cactus soil

I managed to walk away from a
    Iresine (Blood leaf), I may go back for it when the nights get warmer.
    Ian

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

I went sunday to two greenhouses. The first was part of out hort. club tour of Stan Thompson's greenhouse at Chipman. I bought some:
    Globe thistle
    Delphinium -Blue bird
    Myosotis- Dwarf ultra marine
    Trifolium repens 'Atropurpurem'- Dark dancer

After the tour, on our way home we stopped at another greenhouse by St. Albert(Not Holes) and I bought
    Delphinium- Cherry blossom
    Liatris floristan- White
    Thunbergia- needed one more as I only had one come up
    1 red nonstop Begonia
    1 yellow nonstop Begonia

The tour of Stan's greenhouse was very interesting along with the man himself. He is just getting started in the greenhouse business at this location and there is only himself and his wife to do the work. He is concentrating mainly with growing perennials and has about 400 different kinds. He didn't have that many out when we were there as he was still transplanting.
    He has been broadcasting gardening shows on radio for about 33 years now and is in his mid 60's. Along with his greenhouse he has moved an old house on to his property andis planning to have a tea house along with the greenhouse business. Very interesting man, who really is interested in people and what they do. I spent about an hour talking with him on all kinds of subjects and found it hard to leave. Great Day :>)

Cheers Al

• Related Discussions

A Shopping Cart all Planted Up!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh, it's a tiny shopping cart & looks so sweet all planted w/Pansies/Violias?! Your neighbor is going to love it, I bet! Nice recycling, calamity! Jeanne S.
    ...See More

Help A Plant-Aholic Edit Her Shopping Cart

Q

Comments (24)
    Your list intrigued me for an odd reason: WHAT catalogue were you getting all that stuff from? A lot of those prices were positively off the wall! (At least two mail-order and several nurseries come to mind where you could get Rosemary 'Arp' for about $6., not $11.) Expense aside, the REAL issue, as many have pointed out, is WHERE are they all going? After just one winter of having to hold over a zillion pots of things I just HAD to have (but never got around to planting), and losing 75% of the batch to a foul winter, I learned my lesson. . .now, a master list accumulates during the current season, only after a definite location for that plant/plants has been determined; then, after much thought and/or second guessing, only plants from the remaining list can be ordered. Yes, I know, that sounds frightfully disciplined for one of us "wild and carefree" gardeners, but the payoff is SO worth it when Springs rolls around and I once again have to deal with reality. . . When will they finally introduce a Plant-Aholic's Anonymous. . .or, is that what all these confessions on GW are all about? Carl
    ...See More

Purses in Shopping Carts

Q

Comments (35)
    Carla just because there are high tech means available for identity theft doesn't mean low tech ways aren't being used. Most identity theft still takes place through people's carelessness with their atm cards, social security numbers, receipts,bank statements and what they toss in the trash. A purse is simply the easiest one step way for a thief to get the info and multiple pieces of paperwork to make the job easier. Even if they intend to use the computer to do their misdeeds the paperwork makes it so much easier and less risky. Online bill paying is more secure than paying by check. Why? Because most identity theft is lo-tech. The media just likes the high tech story better so that's what people hear about. Sure there are phishing scams and whatever. Those are real threats but a well informed computer user has ways to protect themselves. It's where low-tech crime comes in that people get stupid. They walk around with a false sense of security. Just as in a "bad" area people will become more careful while feeling "safe" in the "better" area. Crooks know this so they come into the "good" ares to commit their crimes. While Mr. Press is reporting the gang bangers shooting each other in their neighborhoods the rest of the crew is off robbing Mr./Mrs. High End in their favorite bistro. Also if they get caught snatching a purse they do less time than for if caught internet crime. There are identity theft rings that use kids to snatch the purses and pick the pockets. Just like they use kids to run street drugs. Less risk doing big time. My DS is a high tech internet security expert. I've posted warnings he's sent me and those got pooh-poohed by some also. Either you are going to be street-wise on and off the 'puter or you're not. If you're not then one day you may become a victim of crime. Maybe not if you're lucky but you sure increase your chances. So it's kind of silly to justify lax security measures (ie leaving your purse where others can get it) when it's something so easily preventable.
    ...See More

Silica, I have that fertilizer in shopping cart on Amazon...question..

Q

Comments (65)
    I use a fertilizer with no calsium in it, but I apply one or two dried and ground eggshells on a monthly basis. Is that necessary or is it too small amount? I bought marmalade made from Seville oranges, and we'll try that on finnish pancake. Here's the recipe if you are curious enough to try it: 'Pannukakku' 8dl whole milk 4dl wheat flour 2dl sugar 1teaspoon salt 1teaspoon baking powder 150g butter A hinch of vanilla extract/vanilla sugar 1. Combine the dry ingredients. 2. Add milk and eggs, whisk for smooth consistency. 3. Melt the butter and let cool down before adding it to the doe. 4. Warm up the oven to 200c - 225c. 5. Heat a empty pan in oven and melt a teaspoon of butter on it, pour on the doe and bake for 25-30minutes until golden brown. Enjoy with whippd cream and marmalade of any kind, but I prefer it with Vanilla ice cream. Enjoy the taste of my childhood, it brings back so many good memories! :) Edit. Forgot to put in the amount of eggs, so it is 2 eggs to this batch!
    ...See More
  • valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

My shopping cart this spring...

From a hort day...
    Poppy, Champagne Bubbles
    2 lime colored potato vine (forgot to get its name)
    Red Bunny Tail grass
    Mona Lavendar Plectranthus (It was tall enough for me to take off 5 cuttings and they all rooted and so now I have 6 for the price of one. I love the burple undertones and the fuzzy pointed leaves. I like the Mona Lavendar cause it has nice large flowers compared to the Nico and it blooms when the plant is still young and small. Whereas I have grown the Nico Plectranthus and it is about 2 years old before it blooms.)
    Blazin' Rose Blood Leaf,Iresine (Ian, you managed to walk away from the Iresine... not me about a month ago. Mine was tall enough for me to be able to take 2 cuttings off. It seemed to take forever (actually only 3 weeks) for the cuttings to form roots and so now I have 2 little new plants also. I am hoping to bring a cutting or two in for the winter next year.)
    Vanilla Megilla Perilla (I already have Megilla Perilla)

From nurseries and Home Depot and Walmart
    3 alstromaria...Zsa Zsa, Camilla, Angela (I divided each in half and planted both halves in the same container but placed a piece of lawn edging between the halves for easier division next spring. Just an experiment.)
    Caladium, Carolyn Whorton (only one up out of 3)
    Caladium, Blaze (all three are up)
    Pkg of 3 Oriental Stargazer lilies
    Pink Lemonade Scabiosa
    Ginger Fushia (will post a picture in the gallery section in the pot I bought at a garage sale)
    12 asparagus fern
    Forever Blue Lisianthus (will be a specimen plant in its own planter)
    3 vinca vine
    3 Oriental Poppy.. Patty's Plum, Miss Piggy, Little Candy Floss
    2 bags of Sea Soil

Some garage sale purchases...
    large high topped almost like new wicker chair for $3 (am varnishing it so it will remain in excellent condition for years and years)
    pine wood doll cradle that was painted with light pink flowers(will drill a hole in bottom, am also varnishing it with about 3 layers of outdoor varnish and then will plant the pansies, chalon supreme mix, in it)
    mini wishing well, stands 2' (varnished it already)
    statue
    6 assorted windchimes
    bird feeder (stained glass)
    watering can
    bird house
    cedar planter
    assorted planters and pots
    4 terra cotta bowl shaped planters
    large 2' bowl shaped terra cotta colored plastic planter
    etc, etc.

Sharon, the datura you purchased...variegated... are the leaves variegated and the flowers are what color?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice plants and accessories everyone!

Brenda, did you get your Plectranthus from Home Hardware? I know, right now I can probably get at least 6 good size cuttings from my plant. The Variegated Datura was not blooming and there was no description of colour on the tag. IÂm sure it will be a soft yellow white???

Ian, thank goodness, 2 Iresine seedlings gave life from the packet of seeds I bought last winter. Should be an interesting contrasting container plant. I will most likely take cutting too of this plant since its difficult to start from seed.

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Sharon, Mona Lavendar was a purchase at a hort day when a few greenhouses/private small nurseries came with their stuff to show and sell that day. (No Pst or GST to pay extra 'cause some of the greenhouses are small enough they do not have to charge for it, I think that is how it works). I should have written down what I paid for each plant purchase I made at hort day but I did not.

Our Home Hardware in Brandon does not have live plants.

Brenda

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I also did some greenhousing on Wed. I came back with a few exciting plants and now I can hardly wait to get them planted.

Let's start with two that I have coveted for awhile:

Passiflora caerula - 8" high for about $5
    Mandevilla x amoena 'Alice du Pont' - about 8" for about $5

Perennials
    Echinops ritro Globe Thistle
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Hypericum Calycinum - not sure about this one
    Armeria martima Sea Pink (3)
    Artemesia vulgaris 'Oriental Limelight'

Annuals
    Verbena 'Heirloom Mango'
    Lantana 'Patriot Petite Rainbow'
    African Daisy 'Yellow Spring Flash'
    Ipomea 'Sweet Caroline' Variegated (2)
    Superbena® 'Burgundy'
    Anagallis 'Wildcat Orange'
    Verbena 'Escapade Bright Eye'
    Dracaena (4)
    Diascia 'Wink Garnet' (2)
    Calibrachoa 'Cabaret Apricot' (4)
    Lysimachia 'Golden Foliage' (4)
    Lotus vine 'Amazon Sunset' (4)
    Lamium galeobdolon (2)

Do I really want to plant that Artemesia? Everything I'm now reading is that it is very invasive. I thought it would be just like Silver Mound except variegated. Anyone have experience with this one?

Shauna

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Shauna, it does spread, so I planted both of mine in pots and sunk them. They don't seem to be going anywhere after 2 years. Actually, I think one of them died. I'll have to check, but I don't think I've seen any growth yet this spring.

Btw, it's a lot taller than silver mound, mine got to about 4 feet tall. The foliage is very cool looking on it, and I hope mine do come back.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well this morning I only went out to buy some Miracle Gro at our local nursery in town, and hmmmm, ahhh, somehow these plants followed me home!

Cimicifuga ramose ÂBrunetteÂ
    Gentiana septemfida var. lagodechiana
    Penstemon heterophyllus
    Phlox paniculata ÂStarfireÂ
    Physostegia virginiana ÂVariegataÂ
    Sedum anacampsteros Alpine Stonecrop
    Sedum cyaneum ÂRose CarpetÂ
    Thymus pseudolanuginosus Wooly Thyme
    Veronica montana 'Corinne Tremaine'
    Veronica incana Wooly Speedwell (3)
    Bidens ferulifolia ÂPeterÂs Gold Carpet (2)
    Impatiens ÂEncore WineÂ
    Portulaca ÂMargarita ScarletÂ
    Snapdragon ÂLa Bella PurpleÂ
    Verbena ÂFlamenco Rose (2)

You bet Shauna, Artemesia Limelight does spread, find the sunniest hottest, poorest, leanest soil in your garden, or plop it in a bucket like Laurie, that will help definitely help behave it.

Sharon

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

How about dry, dry, full shade? I haven't found much that is surviving under a cantilever off of our house. Grass won't grow and none of the polemonium or sweet woodruff that I planted there last year has survived. Maybe this would. But, would it spread into the lawn? I'm thinking that this is similar to a goutweed that I have. I've got to figure out a way of transporting my A-Z book (all 11 pounds of it) with me when I go shopping. LOL

Shauna

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Hello Shauna,
    I have been known to take my A-Z book with me in the car when shopping.
    I leave it in the car. It is then only a short walk to check up on something when I want to.

Lois HoleÂs Perennial Favorites for dry shade:-
    BishopÂs Hat, Elephant-ears, Fleeceflowers, Goatsbeard, Goutweed, LadyÂs Mantle, Lily-of-the-Valley, Pulmonaria and SolomonÂs Seal.

Ian

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Shauna, I also have a cantilever on the north side - the definition of dry shade! I have lily-of-the-valley under it and it just struggles along. It used to be a lot better - maybe I should water it a bit or something. Dunno.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Shauna, I don't know if artemisia could handle full shade. That maybe a good experiment with a piece of it down the road, so that you still have a mother plant left. I don't think I would classify it in the same league as goutweed invasiveness, or even ribbon grass invasive. At first I just planted mine like normal in a bed, then saw a few runners come up a foot away the next spring. I then just planted 2 of them in pots, and pulled up any remaining shoots and that was the end of it. IMO, I didn't find it nearly as scary as goutweed! But, if left unchecked, who knows? It may want to take over the world eventually!lol

• petunia2
    17 years ago

Where did you find the Forever Blue? I seeded some, but am not even sure they came up. They could be one of my "mystery plants," but if so, they're not more than a couple of inches high. Think I'd better buy if I want to see blooms!

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Wow, I had quite a day today. Actually it started last night when I took my excess cannas to a local lady who was delivering them to our Hort. club plant sale. I had also phoned our local greenhouse and talked to the owner about cannas, as she had wanted some with different colored leaves and I told her I had one left, so she wanted it. Today when I was just leaving for the greenhouse the lady came back from the plant sale with six cannas. Along with some other perennials that didn't sell so I gave her 1.50 for three perennials. 1 Veronica, 1 Snow in Summer, and a Lamium.
    So off to the greenhouse I went with the extra cannas and traded for 2-Snowdrop Anemonies, 1- Korean Belflower and 1-Heuchera 'Peach Melba'. I also picked up some petunias for the lady who had brought the cannas back to me and when she came to pick them up she brought a 'Maltese Cross' that she had extra. So for 1.50 I got 8 perennials. Sometimes its nice to get lucky.

Cheers Al

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Hmmmm besides all the groceries I bought...a clematis, Kermensina to be exact.
    I just googled it and of course its only rated as hardy to zone 5a (USDA). Guess I'll just have to enjoy it as much as i can this summer and then mulch and pray all winter...LOL!

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Hunnerbun,

When you bought the clematis...what kind of guarantee came with it? If you are live in a zone 0 what nursery in your area,in their right mind, would carry a zone 5 perennial?

Brenda

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Safeway...we have no garden center up here.... they had a bunch of clems in their floral section. Most likely no gurantee...but when I looked at my grocery tape I noticed it didn't get rung through...
    Maybe I should go back and pay for it....

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Hunner, go back and pay for it if it survives until next year... otherwise it's your money back guarantee... LOL. I am bad! Gardening karma will get me!

• verenap
    17 years ago

I've been behaving...only bought a few plants at Home Depot yesterday...(Course the only reason I'm behaving is cause I'm blowing the budget on my new bathroom...)

My shopping cart from the past few months:

16 pack of petunias
    16 pack of Midnight Blue lobelia
    1 gailardia fanfare
    10 pack of glads

48"x30" beveled mirror medicine cabinet
    48" vanity - white
    formed marble counter top with built in sink - light tan
    6' long, 22" deep soaker tub - ahhhhh....
    48"x34" shower w/ 2 shower heads...conserve water...shower with... ;-)
    lino
    fancy tub faucet with 'telephone' style shower (for hosing down the kid(s) and the dog)
    beautiful 4-light fixture for above the huge medicine cabinet
    a window
    Paint and primer
    and countless 2x4's, plumbing fittings, drywall, and electrical supplies

The mudding is being done today & tomorrow, so by Monday I should be able to paint!! Wooooo Hooo....Then I'll be able to CLEAN up my house!! (At least, since we're having someone else doing the work, I have the perfect excuse to hide out outside and do some digging...I planted two rows of peas and sweet peas the other day...and there's no point cleaning the house since there are people in and out all day and the divorce dust, I mean drywall dust, is everywhere, and won't be gone until the mudding is finished...

So, back outside...when DH gets back from Texas in a week and a half (darn work), he said he's going to take me plant shopping, to make up for missing Mother's day...So until then, my shopping cart will be empty. (HD has a number of things I'd like to get...)

Verena

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Al, hmm, never heard of a Korean Bellflower, what's that?

Maybe I should go back and pay for it....
    I wouldn't worry about, I'm sure they won't go bankrupt ;)

Sharon

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Sharon
    I hadn't heard of it either I just went by what was written on the stake in the pot. I googled it and this is what I found. It says hardy to zone 5 with light pink to white bells appearing in mid summer. Height 18 to 36 inches in height.

I hope it will make it Zone 5 is pretty warm compared to our zone. The greenhouse where I bought it wintered it outside this past winter in a pot so there is hope for it to survive here. It is already about 4 inches high with a full head of leaves so it came through the winter fine. I included a link so you can have a look at it.

Cheers Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean Belflower

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Sharon, the Korean Bellflower is a campanula that has the same height and size of flower as the Cherry Bells Campanula. It is a species bellflower and its name is Takesimana Campanula. It has the same sized bell shaped flowers as Cherry Bells but instead of being a medium pink it is white with a beautiful speckling of maroon on the inside of the bell. The bells are about 3' long and just over 1" diameter and hang down from the plant. The plant stands about 12-14" tall and blooms for at least a month. It does not self seed, rather it sends out underground shoots like most other campanulas.

This is the plant, Cherry Bells, it has the same looks as the Takesimana.

{{gwi:743629}}

This is the Cherry Bells closeup.

{{gwi:743630}}

This is the Korean Bellflower.

{{gwi:743631}}

I love both of them and had both for sale at my perennial garage sale today. Sold all the plants that I brought today. Cherry Bells is probably my most favorite campanula with Bernice Campanula a close second.

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Well here is what followed me home today.

1 prairie Crocus
    1 columbine 'Crimson Sun'
    1 Veronica sightseeing
    3 Coreopsis grandiflora 'Baby Sun'

I have no idea how they got in my shopping cart. :O

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

I googled Sightseeing Veronica and Crimson Sun Columbine to see what they looked like and I couldn't find Crimson Sun...what color is it supposed to be?

Brenda

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Hmmm I was bitten by the Columbine bug today too... WalMart got a few perennials in and 3 of them followed me home. Artemesia Silver Mound
    Aquelegia Nora Barlow
    Tradescantia Concord Grape
    they were only $5.97 each so I figured what the heck!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

No Black Lace Elder. :( The guy said their shrubs hadn't come in yet. He didn't know about the Black Lace Elder but they were going to get something called "Black Sambuckus" in. LOL He said it was Japanese!

At the other nursery, i picked up several packs of pansies, different colours, a red verbena and a white one, apricot and yellow million bells (hoping to make more millions!), vinca vine, two helichrysum (one is larger), dichondra silver falls, and something called "lotus vine" with feathery silver green foliage. Along with the dichondra and the helichrysum, i might make up a silvery green container. Now i need something upright for it, but i'm sure i'll figure something out - either that or someone else here will!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Marcia, Lotus Vines are terrific! I had some a few years ago and loved them. They also have flowers in red or yellow that look like little bird claws. They're good in containers.

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Well, I have nothing in my cart, and won't have until next year (we're moving in December & I've got to deal with what I've already got) but I just wanted to say I am well & truly in AWE of you folks! You've got this plant & accoutrement shopping down to a science! I applaud you!

I consider it a successful shopping trip if I come home with one perennial & a six pack of pansies! lol

So much to learn from y'all! ;)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Brenda, Crimson means deep purpley red......and the tag shows red and white........Sun to me implys yellow.....so maybe red and yellow.....So we will have to wait and see.

I got the columbine 'Crimson Sun',Veronica sightseeing, coreopsis grandiflora 'Baby Sun' at HD for 1.47 each. They were in 4 inch pots. The prairie crocus I got at Canadian Tire for 1.99.

I was looking for pasque flower but I didn't see it in either place.

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Sierra, Prairie crocus and pasque flower are the same thing. What colour did you get? Is it still blooming or do you have to wait a year now?

Syreeta

• nman
    17 years ago

MUD, I bought soil!!!! I hope it's good for my pumpkins. I cannot wait next week is planting time.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Hmmmm Syreeta, that is interesting...the pasque flower that I saw had kind of furry leaves.....the prairie crocus has well for lack of a better way to discribe it...look kind of like dill....kind of open and airy. There was one pretty much finished flower on it....it looks to be dark purple.

I wonder what the other plant was that I saw....hmmmmm.
    Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, now I know what plant you're talking about... I thought Korean Bellflower sounded familar. Apparently I WS'd Campanula takesimana last year ;) LOL
    I went searching in the garden today, and lo and behold its poking thru, so it is indeed hardy Al ;)

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

garden_chicken, go over to the conversation forum, tell us where your moving, are you excited?

Sharon

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Sierra, I was about to jump to your aid because I thought they were two different things too, but apparently they are all Pulsatilla and there are about 40 species worldwide that are somewhat different but all correctly referred to as Pasqueflower. The European Pasqueflower has been retaxonomified (I made that word up) from Anemone pulsatilla to Pulsatilla vulgaris. The North American Prairie Crocus has been regrouped from Anemone patens to Pulsatilla ludoviciana or patens. How confusing! I think the really dense furry ones that Al has are European Pasqueflowers.

• savona
    17 years ago

It pays to have a birthday and Mother's day so close together..yesterday I went shopping for a rose or two..ended up with 3..Morden Sunrise,Morden Fire Glow and Sir Tomas Lipton..bought a "startle" day lily (it was fairly expensive as it was potted up already) a Black Berry Candy daylily 30% off, 2 asiatic lilies "Orly" 30% off and a polar bear willow...savona

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Since both of my sons live many miles away, I thought the perfect thing to do on Mother's Day was to do a little shopping at one of my favourite greenhouses.
    Picked up a few annuals (petunias, marigolds and pansies), but what really caught my eye was a "Fleece Flower". Don't know much about it...seems to appear similar to Goatsbeard (which I have in my back yard), grows to 5-6' in height (!!!) and is supposedly hardy to Zone 3. I may have brought home a monster LOL.
    Margaret

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Margaret.....Oh no the Fleece Flower isn't a monster....search on here.....we had a conversation about this plant last summer when I was looking for tall plants. I ordered one this spring from Dominion Seedhouse....and its now waiting to be planted. Mines small right now but I am hoping it gets nice and tall.

I think it was Sharon that has this plant. And I also think that Marcia mentioned seeds sprouting of this in the ws thread....I think, I think, I think!

Sierra

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Thanks for that tip, Sierra. Found the thread about tall plants. Now, I can hardly wait to get that Fleece Flower planted, although given it's ultimate size, will rethink the location.
    ROTFL about the bee balm hair comment. I can sure identify with that. In fact, that's part of the stategy for putting up a trellis along one edge of the courtyard that we're working on! Do want to protect our amiable relationship with the neighbours! LOL
    Margaret

• kristal
    17 years ago

Yesterday, my mom and I indulged and went on a road trip of sorts. We just had to satisfy our curiosity about Thomsen's Greenhouse in Avon, MN, but Chippewa Farms in Garfield is where we spent our $$.

I did a LOT of winter sowing, so the following are either to fill-in containers or were love at first sight.

Lantana C. "Variegata"
    Artemisia "Oriental Limelight"
    licorice vine
    Sweet Potato vine "Sweet Caroline"
    coleus wizard mix
    asst. vinca vines
    unnamed miniature hosta from WalMart
    gazanias

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Margaret, this will give you some idea how big the 'Giant Fleece Flower' is. Glad to see "they" (the zone council) realize that its not a zone 6 plant any longer ;)

Sharon

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    That's one plant? Definitely have to rethink the location on this one....but I like it even better now.
    Margaret

• verenap
    17 years ago

LOL...You Ladies... ;-) ...now I have ANOTHER plant to add to my wish list..."DH...you may need to get a second job!"

Verena

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Yeah, that was me with the sprout. I did take a picture of it yesterday but never got around to putting the pictures on the computer. Maybe i'll get around to it this evening. :) I have a good idea where i'll put this guy if he is who i think he is - hard to believe something 1/4 inch tall will grow so big, eh?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yup, that's one plant ;)