SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbake999

Plants keep dying in the same spot!

kbake999
8 years ago

Last year when I first moved to my new house I done the flower beds. In one area along my stairway leading up from the sidewalk to the front of the house I had planted a Coreopsis on either side, one yellow and one garnet. Neither came back this year. In place of them I planted carnations where the yellow one was and I planted a real dream Shasta daisy in the area where the garnet coreopsis was. That shasta daisy has died after it seemed like it was doing just fine. I planted another real dream Shasta daisy the same day, from the same nursery in a different location of the flower bed. Could there be something wrong with this specific area of my flower bed where I originally lost the garnet coreopsis? If so what can I add to my soil to make it more safe for flowers? I don't want to keep replacing plants in this area for them to keep dying. All of the surrounding area is doing just fine, it's just this few feet of the flower bed. Please note cats have used my flower beds for litter boxes, and they have deficated in this same area I'm having trouble with, but they just started that this year. I picked up and disposed of all the cat waste and now have repellant laying out that is safe for people, pets and plants. I just don't want to have a bare area in my flower bed forever if I can never plant something there again that will stay alive! I'm hoping there is just something that needs added to the soil in this certain area that will help. I have clay soil by the way, which all of my other plants seem to thrive in. I always add top soil and nutrients in the bottom of the hole before placing the plant in the ground and recovering it with top soil then mulch, and dispose of the clay I dug out of the hole. Any thoughts??? I'm hesitant to replant something else in this area.

Comments (23)

• dowlinggram
    8 years ago

If cats have used that area for a liter box it could be that the soil is too acidic. In any case I'd have the soil analyzed. Other than that it would be just trial and error. Once you have the results you'll know what to do to to improve the soil so things will grow

• kbake999
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK I will try that! The cats have used other areas of my flower beds as well but all those plants seem to be doing just fine still. This one area is in full sun whereas the other areas are not so maybe that makes a difference. Thank you for the input!

• Related Discussions

Help.. Spots on leaves and pepper plant dying?

Q

Comments (1)
    That is powdery mildew on your squash plants. If the soil is bone dry while the pepper plant is wilting yes it is under-watering. But the same wilting affect can be the result of other problems including over-watering.
    ...See More

UGH! Pepper plants keep dying!

Q

Comments (4)
    chile plants are very resilient. It could be the overwatering and it definitly could be overfertilizing, however, if you can fix the problem they will probably grow new growth. The stems look healthy to me, it just looks like the leaves have drooped all the way. I would pick all the chiles and flowers off the plants. Leave them alone, no fertilizer, no water and see what happenes. I am willing to bet you will see new growth fairly quickly. Otherwise, the only way to really control Mother Nature's watering plan is to plant in pots that can have better drainage or be moved when a heavy rain is coming through kendra
    ...See More

Can you plant the same things, in the same spot year after year?

Q

Comments (7)
    Tomatoes LOVE to grow in the same place every year. If you add new composted soil and ammendments, they will be just fine. Don't need to worry about it unless you get some kind of virus or fungi in the soil. You can rotate what you plant next to them and that will help. Some plants are heavy feeders, like lettuce, and some do best grown in soil where heavy feeders were planted the year before, without any added nutrients, like carrots. Carrots LOVE Tomatoes. Others benefit from the shade they make, like lettuce & spinache. Dill, garlic, beets and bush beans do well near tomatoes, and planted near Asparagus, both tomato and asparagus benefit. You definitely cannot move asparagus every year or you wouldn't have much of a crop. So, just keep building your soil so that it is healthy, and . . .Ammend! Ammend! Ammend! ~ SweetAnnie4u
    ...See More

Grass dying in some spots. Others in same area growing without dying l

Q

Comments (1)
    most grasses are full sun ... and what tree is above.. some of the maple clan.. among others.. simply suck the life out of plants under ... are we to presume these are garden grasses.. rather than lawn plugs??? where are you.. and are they zone appropriate.. could winter have set them back??? ken
    ...See More
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

all that.. and you dont tell us where you are ... how close to the porch they are.. whether they could be baking in the sun .. affected by ice melting products in winter ... etc ..

you are fixated on the cats.. and it may or may not be the issue ...

and NEVER add fert in the bottom of a hole.. the roots will ALWAYS be stressed on planting.. and no need to burn them at the same time ..

they are plants.. not children.. they do not need to be fed .. though of course.. once they get going.. little OF THIS OR THAT WONT MATTER...

frankly ... i might think the cats have nothing to do with it ... as they just started this year ... per your words ....

btw .. review the link about dealing with clay soil when planting trees.. and consider that you might be digging cauldrons that hold too much water ... and a lot of fert ...

and all that said.. you might say.. why just those two plants in those spots.. well.. thats the real mystery .... and it might have something to do with the porch.. and how that soil may or may not dry like the rest ...

ken
    https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

I second the suggestion of getting a soil test done, and Ken's suggestions of heat or pH issues from pavement or foundation, or salt from ice melt products or holes that don't allow water to drain all might be issues. If you post a photo of the area we may spot other factors that might be causing problems as well.

• kbake999
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will have to get a pic tomorrow. I'm in OH zone 6. It wouldn't be ice melt, I've only lived here for one winter and I didn't put down any salt the whole winter since we didn't have much ice at all compared to the snow. I've always added fertilizer (granules or powder miracle grow) in with the top soil and mix it in the bottom of the hole. I do that with all my plants and never had an issue. The only ones I didn't add fertilizer to were my bareroot ones. This area is out in full afternoon sun quite a ways from the porch and the plants around this area on either side have been and are doing just fine, which is why I thought it was weird I'm having trouble growing plants in just this one area. I know clay soil holds water so what I do is dig the hole deeper than needed, then I fill it with my top soil mixture, water it and mix and add more top soil on top of that. Then I place my plant in the hole level and fill in around it with top soil as well before covering with mulch. I figured this way since its not sitting directly in the clay soil the plants won't get root rot since some of the extra water will drain thru the layer of top soil underneath the plant and the plant won't be sitting right in a pool. Is this a fair technique? I did this with the other two plants as well that died. I'm just curious if there is something wrong with the soil itself in this one area, why am I not having trouble anywhere else around the area...wouldn't whatever is wrong with the soil spread out? When I first moved in there was ornamental grass planted all up and down my walkway on both sides as well, including in this trouble area. Those seemed to thrive just fine at that time before I removed them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Please sign my name to what gardengal posted.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    8 years ago

Could it be that you have some bricks or a large flat rock buried a foot or so down that could be hindering root development? If you have a rebar stake or similar, see how far down you can push it.

• nandina
    8 years ago

I have noted this dilemma when landscaping new homes. Generally these 'spots where nothing will grow' are located close to the entrances/exits of new construction. The culprit cause usually is the painters/finishers who exit a door, take a quick look around to make the certain the coast is clear and then dump their dregs of paint and other liquids, spot poisoning the soil for years. Very common and not an enough recognized problem. I have always urged customers to write into construction contracts that all liquids and flammables will be packaged and removed from the site. Or, if a hard surface driveway is planned wastes may be discarded within its footprint.

If this is the suspected problem it is best to think creatively; plant a rock, birdbath or large container on the 'spot'. Then allow the garden design to flow from that point.

• Marie Tulin
    8 years ago

Ah yes, the dumped paint covered by an inch of soil and some leaves. Boy did that p-me-o and the contractor hear about it soon!

• kbake999
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There's nothing under all the soil...just more and more clay. I have come across some rocks but nothing huge that would cause a problem. I couldn't push a rebar down if my life depended on it lol...my clay soil is like bricks. Nothing would have been dumped there...it's quite a ways from the front entrance, practically in the middle of the front yard. Even though I have always used top soil and fertilizer with my practice I stated above, and never had a problem with any plant doing so, this last bunch of 6 plants I took gardengals advice. Even though all the tags (except for the lambs ear) said to add fertilizer I didnt add any. Nor did I had any top soil under or around. I stabbed the sides inside the hole so it wasnt just a straight compact slope from my trowel in the clay soil and added the plant and as much as I hate clay, I added that back around and on the plant. I crumbled it up the best I could vs just shoving big chunks of clay around and in the hole. Then watered and covered with mulch. What I did with my problem area was not plant anything right in it... Instead I planted a flower above it and one over to the side of it and already had one below it so it doesn't look like such a huge blank space. Would it be advisable to add fertilizer to these new plants here in a few weeks or wait until fall? I use the miracle grow liquafeed you attach to the hose.

• cakbu z9 CA
    8 years ago

How about a raised planter or pots. That way you don't have to fight with the dirt that is there and you get some color in that spot. When I went through the fight with the tree roots (and they won) I went to above-ground planters and have been very happy with the plants I have put in them.

• kbake999
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I unfortunately don't have very level ground here...I'm on a slope :( I slope down in the front and slope out to the side so everything would tumble down especially when the wind comes through here. I really, really like the plants in the ground, I just really hate the dirt lol. The only reason I put up with digging in the clay is because I don't plan on moving or taking out the majority of the flowers, so as long as they are there in the ground permantely filling in space I don't have to dig every year to keep planting. Or so that is my plan. Depending on what our winter is like this year, I may loose some and have to do it all over again next year. Some plants, like my ice plant are only hardy to 10 degrees and some -10 degrees and it can get way colder than that here so this last bunch of plants I made sure they were hardy from -30 to -40 degrees just in case.

• skin182
    6 years ago

I realize this is an old forum but I just had to say that it was so unnerving that most of the replies to kbake999 weren't helpful just very critical. There were some that genuinely tried to help.

I too was having the same issue with a spot in my flower bed. I have been gardening all my life and had never experienced this problem. Anyway, this was how I ended up here...in my search for a cause, and hopefully a solution.

I do the think the comments regarding paint or other chemicals are onto something because my house was a new construction when I moved in and the spot I'm having issues with is no bigger than a 2 foot square area and the plants and flowers within 1 foot of that spot have been healthy and blooming for years. Same amount of sun, rain, snow, I don't use ice melt or anything of the sort, exact same clay soil in the entire flower bed and I've had a cat for the last 3 years and she does occasionally pee in the garden but none of the plants seem to mind but anyway plants have been dying in that spot long before kitty was even born.

Btw kbake999 your gardening methods are just fine. If plants thrive...then you must be doing something right. Hope you've found a solution since then, unfortunately I haven't. :(

• debbiecz
    5 years ago

Kbake999 and skin182. This makes three of us with killing soil. I have a raised garden surrounding the patio. No problems for three years: this spring everything planted & re-planted has died.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Debbiecz, it is typically best to start a new thread wih your issue to get more eyes on your issue and to reduce confusuion since you are the third different person to have an issue arise on this thread. Go to the top of the page and click the little gray oval with the word perennials in it or just click the link. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/peren

Then where is stays “start a discussion”. You can start a new thread devoted just to your garden. Be sure to add photos of your particular garden and info about your general location and soil. What plants are you putting into the bed that haven’t been happy?

Generally a failure to thrive is either due to soil, watering, or a plant choice that isn’t appropriate for your particular setting. Since this is a raised bed and plants have done fine here previously, your problem may be the soil used to fill the beds originally if it wasn’t native soil. Often bagged “soils” will break down because they are high in peat, and over several seasons will become extra fine textured and dense, reducing the movement of needed oxygen and water to and from the roots. Try digging a hole several inches down -what does it feel like? Wet, moist, dry? Loose and crumbly or dense? If you put a cup of the soil in a quart jar with water and shake it up, how long does it take to sink, and if left to completely settle, how thick are the layers and do they look like soil particles or organic material? I could be completely off base, but I am guessing based on the little bit of info you gave us as to what the problem might be.

• jackskr
    4 years ago

Hello,

I have had the same problems for about 8 years. I have a picture window in my front yard and I have had a problem with getting a spiral Bush to live on one side. I planted one on each side but I have replaced the bush on one side probably 7 or 8 times.

Because I buy my bushes at Lowe’s I can return them within a year and that is what I have had to do.

Have you found out what the problem is? If so, can you let me know what I can do to resolve my problem?

Thanks!

email: purdiektj@aol.com

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

jackskr, every garden is unique and what may have been the issue in the previous posts may have absolutely no bearing on what is happening with yours. You really need to start a new post (see Bab's instructions above) with photos of the area in question and include your geographic location. And be a little bit more forthcoming on what a "spiral bush" may be :-)

Here are some other questions you should be able to answer.........how is the drainage like in that area? Is it under any eaves or protected from natural rainfall? Was the soil amended in that spot and if so, how and with what? What did your planting process entail? What else grows in that immediate vicinity?

The more information you can provide, the greater your chances at arriving at an accurate conclusion.

• debbiecz
    4 years ago

Has anyone tested for gas lines in the area? A landscaper suggested this as he’s seen plants die in one spot due to a tiny gas leak. It was my issue, my “dead spot” has recovered. I also wonder if fireplace ashes could have been dumped.

• jackskr
    4 years ago

Hi,

I do not currently have a fireplace or have gas appliances, only electric. Some neighbors have fireplaces. So, I am not sure if I have a gas line on my property.

Thanks for your suggestion/comment!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Jacksk, GG 48 had lots of questions that you need to answer before we can even begin to guess. And a photo of the spot (preferably with the dead shrub so we can see what it is and how it looks) would be useful. The vast majority of plants don’t die due to gas leaks but regather due to soil and water issues, and you need to give us information if we are to have any reasonable ideas.

Tell us where you are in the world would help as well, just nearest large city and state or country.

• HU-183375596
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have the same issue with my woodland garden. the same soil, the same sun or shade exposure for all plants, all kind. There is one big spot 5 feet/3feet where nothing survive. The first year after planting is great.In the second year is gone if not transplanted. I planted daffodill bulbs. The first spring they came out great but in the second spring all dissapiered. I was thinking that might be a toxic soil after construction, they disposed some toxic material. Next to that area every plant is doing great. Not even weeds goes in that spot. People that worked in construction in that area dumped toxic material.oil,paintings whatever not supposed to be dumped in that area.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

put a bench there ...

have the soil tested