SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevinga

UGH! Pepper plants keep dying!

bevinga
16 years ago

Hi,

I planted three pepper plants last year, Hot Chili, Tabasco, and Habernero, and all three did well. This year, my son decided to plant peppers, so we bought five plants, Hot Chili, Tabasco, Cayenne, Serano, and Jalapeno. They did well for about a month, then he put 13-13-13- fertilizer around them...I think he over dosed them, but later he took some of the fertilizer out. He also turned on the sprinkler system and forgot about it, so it watered the peppers overnight.

During the next couple of days, we noticed the leaves on the Serano and Jalapeno pepper turning yellow and falling off. By the next day, the Serano was totally leafless.

We replaced those two and bought an extra Jalapeno in hopes of saving the rest and doing better this time with some like the ones we lost. We watered the rest of the garden, but avoided the pepper patch as much as possible, thinking they were over-watered. Then thankfully for the drought conditions, but not for our peppers, we got rain for two days in a row.

Today, a Jalepeno and the Hot Chili are in the "I'm not going to make it," stage. What are we doing wrong? Is there anything we can do to save these two? Is there anything we can do to keep the others from meeting the same fate?

Here's a link to pictures I took this morning:

Peppers

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Beverly

Comments (4)

Sponsored