SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laticauda

anyone else use straws to steady young growing hoyas?

laticauda
8 years ago

I kept the hoyas I got from violet barn in their little pots and original mix. I know, I know, bad mommy but hear me out, okay?

Off topic preface: I don't have to water them much and they were doing just fine at the VB, as long as I watch the water, u should be good, right? And my mixes almost always come out too gritty and I'm afraid that some of these would seriously suffer from lack of water and I don't ever want those plants to get too dry, especially since they are hanging in a southern window about 2 feet away and the sun is shaded by the house awning (where the gutter would be if we had one on that part of the house). Anyway, I want them to get a such sun as possible...especially the coronaria, look at the last intern ode length!

Anyway as promised, straws for baby hoyas maybe they see it as a jungle gym? I had to use a rubber band loosely around the purpureo-fusca (does anyone care the variety or is that not necessary? Well, for anyone that wants to know, it's "silver pink") because it doesn't have any leaves to make it "hug" the support the way the coronaria does. One thing is for certain, the pupureo-fusca is outgrowing all my other babies from VB. I reported the polyneura and I'm using a type of pot I've never used before and it keeps a little water reservoir at the bottom. I'm learning how to cope. That's the only one I reported because I have SO many polyneura cuttings now that I can experiment with the VB one and not have to worry about it as much, hopefully anyway. Hopefully the lack of new growth isn't signifying that it's just rotting in the 6 inch pot I put it in. It shares space with an alcohol burnt NOID fuzzy plant.

It's kind of like a pack-n-play but for baby plants.

Comments (4)

Sponsored