SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_heberlein

Appearing w/Board of Adjustors for Variance Request - Suggestions?!?!?

Jamie Heberlein
8 years ago

We will be appearing before the Board of Adjustors next month to request a variance to build an accessory shed that is more than 40% of our primary residence size. Currently we could do a 680 sq ft barn, but we're requesting a 1,200 sq ft to accommodate our needs.

We have a more unique property that is 11.5 acres but within the City limits. Although it is zoned agricultural, the City of Wentzville does not have special ordinance exemptions.

We are looking to build a 30x40 barn. We currently have a 40x40 horse barn on the property (well 30x40 with a 10' overhang) that is the home for our horses right now. Our plan for the barn is to be able to store a tractor, hay (round bales and square bales as needed), along with other farm tools/implements (i.e. ladders, wheelbarrows, our driving cart, manure spreader, etc) to keep them out from the elements.

Part of our hardship is that we have no place to store a tractor or hay round bales right now out of the elements. The only alternative right now is to put a tarp over them and hope they don't rust out/get moldy from exposure. We also are using 2 of our 5 horse stalls right now for storage, so we're unable to rescue another horse or when there was local flooding we couldn't help take in temporary horses as we already have 3 horses on the property.

We have a unique property, and I already have signed forms from my neighbors all approving our request that I submitted with the variance request itself.

I just want to be prepared and have the best chance at the Board's approval.

Can anyone else think of any hardships that I should include? Any suggestions to help improve my chance of approval? Anything?!?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Comments (14)