SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jentsu926

Why are nursery-grown plants so much bigger, etc.?

jentsu926
8 years ago

Sorry if this has been posted before, but not having much background or exposure to nursery operations, I have always wondered:

1. Why are the plants that come from nurseries gigantic? Example: I was recently in a grocery store where they sold golden pothos plants with leaves as big as saucers--no joke. That would never happen in my home, so obviously there are some controlled conditions going on.

2. Why do nursery-grown plants have many blooms when you buy them, only for you to have fewer blooms the next year? What causes plants to bloom that much in the first place?

3. How can nurseries get away with watering plants so often, and not lose them to root rot? Or, perhaps they do, and this is just a hidden problem.

4. Is there some sort of economy-of-scale production going on where one nursery produces seedlings, that ships them off to another nursery that grows the plants, that then sells them to retailers?

Sorry to sound naïve, it is just an industry I know nothing about and now I'm super curious about it.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations