SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

Got duped on a native tree?

c2g
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, I've been posting in the Trees forum for years about all these crazy ideas for overcrowding my small yard with native trees, shrubs, vines, perennials, etc. Just when I've managed to cover every square foot of my yard and enjoy the fruits of my labor, I get a bomb dropped on me.

The background: Bought our house in 2008 and the "yard" consisted of paved surface and some weeds. Had a home audit done by Audubon at Home which got me into native plants. Seven years (and way too much money) later, it's become an obsession and what I feel is my life's calling.

The anchor of this "wildlife oasis" I've managed to create is a White Oak, Quercus alba, symbolic because it was the first thing I planted, supports the greatest amount of wildlife, and is the placenta tree for my first-born.

I purchased it from a native plant nursery (part of the company's name, actually) and hand-picked it after bugging them for an hour about why I wanted it. Paid about $350 for the tree and to have it dropped off next to the hole, and that was that. Stopped using the company after they sold me European varieties of perennials that were supposed to be natives on more than one occasion.

Years went by and the tree has doubled in size to where I can no longer fit both hands around the trunk. A similar size B&B white oak I planted in another spot the following year has put on about 5'. I knew there was something magical about this tree connected to the placenta. I loved it, and if there was one reason I could never move from my current home, it was the connection to this white oak.

Recently, I had a botanist friend over and we were sitting under it in the backyard. I told him the history of the tree and asked him how it could put on so much more growth than the other one, when he looked at me with an expression like he was about to tell a child that Santa wasn't real. This was an English Oak, Quercus robur.

There is no replacing it. I kind of like finding out I'm not actually my daughter's father. The landscaping company did make amends for the perennial mishap I mentioned earlier, but there is no fix for this. So... what do I do? I'm guessing 99% of their customers would shrug their shoulders and not think of it again, but my landscaping world has been turned sideways.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm