SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikechau

To repair or replace 7yr old Rheem AC?

mikechau
8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum here and could use some help from the community. I have a 7 year old Rheem furnace / AC and it stopped working about a week ago. Not feeling any cold air come out. Out of warranty and using R22 freon.

Vendor #1 came out, did a pressure test and concluded it was a freon leak. Didn't do a leak search though. However recommended replacing entire air condition because repair would be half the cost of a new unit.

Vendor #2 came out, and just with eyes was able to see indications of a leak inside the condenser - see pictures below. He claims it was the condenser coil leaking and also recommended mind as well replace the entire unit. He could replace just the condenser coil but again would cost half of a whole new AC system. He also claimed repairing the coil would not be a guarantee and the repair may not hold up.

Spoke to vendor #3 over the phone and he also recommends mind as well replace the whole AC based on my description of the problem.

After speaking to three parties, it seems I have a general consensus. I'm leaning toward replace because of the high repair cost, it's a 7 year old Rheem and it uses R22. New unit would be a Lennox 14ACX. Just looking for other opinions here - what would you do? Do the pictures below look like a leak? Do I need to clarify anything else with these 3 vendors?

Thanks for reading and any advice!

Comments (4)