SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jameshawes5

This is what has worked for me

James Hawes
8 years ago

I read most of the time that it takes 6 to 8 weeks and sometimes more for most people to get roots. After trying several different ways I have gotten a very high success rate and have roots usually in about three weeks. After many failed attempts the thing that really made the difference was going to extremes at keeping every step of the process as sterile as possible. I usually use 7 inch plastic pots, like the ones perennials come in at the nursery. I usually put only one cutting per pot. Before I take any cuttings I wash the pots well with very hot soapy water. I put a 50/50 mixture of perlite and vermiculite in the pots. I use bottled water and put a couple tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in each bottle of water. Then I gradually pour usually 2 bottles evenly into each pot. That's enough to get it wet but not too soaked. I let the pots sit in the sink and drain while I go out to get the cutting. I sterilize my clippers with hydrogen peroxide. I fill a teacup with water and 2 or 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and when I make the cutting I put it in the cup immediately. I keep the cutting in that cup until the moment it is dipped in the rooting powder and stuck in the pot. I put a gallon size freezer bag over it and tape the edge of the bag to the pot. Sometimes I'll use some sticks to keep the bag from touching the cutting depending on the size of the cutting. I mark the name of the rose and the date on the back. Then I put it under lights and absolutely leave it alone. Most of the roses I grow are OGRs an DHs. Most of the time I have roots in about 3 weeks. Sometimes just 2 weeks. About a week to harden off and they're ready for soil. My grow lights are just a foot or two from the sliding doors to my back deck and get some additional indirect sunlight as well. I'm not sure if that has made a difference or not. Switching to a sterile mix of perlite and vermiculite along with washing and sterilizing everything as much as possible made a huge difference in my success rate. That is what has worked for me in my Indiana 5b climate.

Comments (47)