SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somepeabody1

Need Your Opinion: 3 ton or 4 ton Trane XR17

peabody1
8 years ago

Okay, here is my problem. We need to replace the heating & a/c in our house. Going with the Trane XR17. Our current house calls for a 3 ton a/c. But when we built we had a 3-1/2 ton put in just incase we wanted to turn our lanai (porch) into usable space. We ended up only using the enclosed lanai (porch) once in awhile for our dog when we go some place. Also, need to say that we live in hot, humid Florida. Well, wouldn't you know that Trane does not sell this XR17 unit in 1/2 ton sizes. So you have to go either with a 3 ton or a 4 ton. I would like to know your opinion of whether we should go with the 3 ton or 4 ton. Again, our blueprints originally called for a 3-ton for this model of house. But our a/c guy suggested we go with the 4-ton. I am concerned about over sizing the unit. But he doesn't think so because the XR17 has two stages (speeds). What are your opinions? There is some confusion on the sq. ft. of the house and lanai....blueprint doesn't match county's records. So house air conditioned sq. ft. is either 1,606 or 1,676 and the enclosed lanai which will only be used once in great while for the dog is either 140 sq ft or 160 sq ft. What are your thoughts?

Comments (11)