SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foxemilyw

Help needed for dwarf jade bonsai tree

foxemilyw
8 years ago

Hello,

I recently purchased a variegated dwarf jade (Portulacaria afra 'Variegata') from a bonsai nursery here in Denver. I pruned it fairly heavily over a few days and put it into a bonsai pot with specific fast draining bonsai soil that was given to me at the nursery. I did not do anything to the roots when I re-potted it. It is on a south facing window sill and I generally leave the window cracked in order to keep the room a little bit cooler, though the plant is on the other side of the window, away from the draft from the open part. I water only when the soil feels completely dry (which ends up being about once a week since Colorado is extremely dry and it has been about 90 degrees each day for the last few weeks). Lately I've been noticing the leaves shriveling or looking wrinkled, and some have turned completely brown, dried out, shriveled up, and fallen off. They are also starting to look more yellow than previously. There is slow release fertilizer in the original soil that the tree came in from the nursery. Am I over watering? Could this be root rot? Too much sun? How do I help my tree? (Pictures of the problems below)

Thank you!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations