SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
green_thumb15

Need reviews on chemical-free hot tub treatments

green_thumb15
8 years ago

Hello all,

I recently purchased a house that came with what looks like a very nice hot tub. I found the paperwork for it in the garage, it says it's a Marquis Destiny. The water is still quite clear and I've been leaving it on in hopes it will stay ok until I find a solution to treat it. It's covered and I've conditioned the vinyl cover with some saddle soap as per manufacturer instructions, so I'm hoping it's not going to get out of control in the mean time.

My trouble is this. I'm extremely chemically sensitive. Even lifting the cover on it now bothers me. I've spent hours online researching alternative treatments, but most forums decree that chlorine works, go with it (in which case I think people need to do a little research on chlorine's toxicity and how it effects the health of normal people, but I realize that's my own view). The few commonly used "natural" options still require chemical shocks. The only non-chemical options I've found, such as Ahhnatural, Natural Spa and Nature's, all don't seem to have a single independent review on the internet. Naturally I'm suspicious of the reviews attached to the manufacturers sites. Does anyone have any real reviews of these products? As far as my sensitivity, Ahhnatural looks like it would be safest for me using shocks of hydrogen peroxide, but it's pointless if my hot tub turns into a slime pit or degrades due to improper water chemistry.

As additional information, the hot tub would only be used by adults aware it would be a sensitive spa, and pre-showering is very enforcable, so no potentially peeing kids or sweaty/dirty individuals. I realize we humans still shed epithelials and have germs come off of us regardless, but I can reduce the amount introduced to the tub.

Thanks in advance. It'd be nice if this giant mass on my patio could be more than a decorative block.

Comments (11)