SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spectrograph_nc_7b

Fungal disease creating drought stress in zoysia?

We've had extremely high temps and very sporadic rain for the last three weeks or so (95+, sun). I've been battling large patch disease in my backyard zoysia for a while now (other thread). My questions are: is large patch active in the extreme heat of summer? Various posts and state ag recommendations are to begin watching out for this disease when summer cools off into fall.

I don't see any classic signs of fungal infection in my zoysia (leaf spots, yellow stems, rot in the stolons). However, the areas around the diseased patches look really wilty / dried out:

Compared to healthy lush a few feet away:

I have a lot of diseased spots (three large ones) and a lot of healthy spots, and each one occurs both in the sun and shade, near trees and free standing, so I'm thinking this is related to the disease.

As a side note, I planted fescue seeds in the patch last year just to have SOMETHING in the giant brown circle, but all the fescue in the ring itself died this May almost over night, so I'm thinking there's still a nasty agent circulating in there.

View of the diseased patches:

Comments (8)