SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Summer emergency continues..Ultimate Haworthia root loss.. What to do?

DavidL.ca
8 years ago

Sigh....I guess succulent drama in the summer is actually worse than during winter :(

The H. transiens is one Haworthia that hasn't been doing very well lately, as mentioned in a thread from before. And even though I thought it was getting better, last night I was plucking away old yellow leaves like I always do, I noticed that the plant was very loose and easy to move, and then, I tried to lift the plant and BAMM (the sound in my head), the whole plant just came off the soil like no one's business. There's virtually no roots at the bottom of the plant. I'm guessing this is one of the cases that Haworthia loses its roots during non-growing season... I've read that they do so when they receive too much watering when they don't want it. I checked my other Haws and they seemed to be firmly grasping the soil so that's good... But what should I do with this one?

There's no mushy stems or roots so I don't think anything rotted..

You can see there are some roots growing out, seems like mostly they're from the seedlings, but I'm not sure

ALSO, I noticed these little bugs that flies when I was examining the bottom, just 2 of them I believe, they might have got on there when I left the plant at the window with it opened last night, but I'm not sure. Are these recognizable to anyone, is it a common pest??

I carefully cleaned/washed the bottom area and plucked away the remaining dead roots and leaves, left it atop a small potful of perlite at the moment, do I just wait and hope that it will grow some roots back? Also, would this be a good time to separate some of the pups and let them root themselves? Or should I leave the whole plant as it is...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)