SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcstorage456

Need advices for this chubby Haworthia

HawObsession VN
7 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm a newcomer to this drought-friendly cutie - Haworthia Cymbiformis var. Obtusa (hopefully that's the proper identification for this little girl).

I decided to grow her simply because I can’t stand for those chubby leaves and what she is called in Vietnamese – “sen ngọc” (the lotus of emerald or jade lotus, probably due to the translucent greenish shade of the foliage and the leaf texture). As I’ve done some researches on this species, I’ve learnt that she is classified as “winter growers,” which is quite errrr when growing her in such a tropical area as Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (this is where I live). Although this cultivar is fond of partial shade to total shade, she was displayed in direct sunlight at the flower shop, which makes me really confused as she is looking fine (here is a photo of her roots).

Furthermore, the soil in which she sits is quite compact since it is comprised of potting soil (I guess) and rice husk.

But that did not stop me from repotting.

Here is my mixing components (would the mix be porous enough for her to thrive and be happy?)

1 part of perlite/pumice (really I have no experience on telling their difference)

1 part of the soil I’ve mentioned above

1 part of akadama (as I see many apply this to their succulent mix)

I also let her nestle on the east-facing window sill (here is the place), which is led by morning sun for an hour and a half approximately.

A different angle

I still wonder whether she can receive sufficient sunlight in such a condition. I’m also concerned about whether I should have her sunbathed once every 2-3 days, with direct morning sun. Additionally, I always turn the air-conditioner on to 24°C at night.

I plan to water her once every a fortnight, but I don’t know how much water she needs as some websites suggest that it is enough when water is seen running out of the drainage hole of the pot while others say it should weigh about one third of the total weight of the pot and the plant.

Please give me some suggestions, advices, and comments as I really want her to be with me, happy and healthy. Thank you in advance!!!

P/s: Here is what the florist whom I bought her suggests me taking care of her: “Sunbathe the plant in morning sun (from 6am to 8am) for 2 hours everyday and water her twice a week.”

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations