SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

Confessions of my Not-so-Sun-Loving Haworthia

bernardyjh
9 years ago

So I got this guy from Home Depot last Friday, it looked like it has alot of pups at a glance. So I repotted it immediately when I got home into my new bonsai pot in a gritty mix.

I was glad that I did, because the default soil were drown with moisture and peat soil, deceptively cover by a layer of gravel, thinking it should be dry.

Sadly, none of the pups has roots yet, and they are still attached to the mother plant; except for one with tiny root emerging. l didn't gave much thought into it and left it by the corner of the mother plant.

Watering: I watered it immediately after I repot, as the mix was dry. Watered it again this morning after checking the mix was bone dry again. Note: I watered it along with my other plants, and the other plants are doing great with the watering routine.

Sun: I read a fair bit about slowing acclimatizing plants to full sun, since it's from the store with low light. I slowly introduced it to sun - Sat 2-3 hours noon sun; Sun 4-5 hours; Mon - didn't really had the time to move them, and I thought they would probably be ok with a day of full sun.

I came home with the pup shriveled in brownness and became slightly crispy on the tips. I pulled it out, all the roots seemed like it didn't exist. It completely puzzles me, just a day and I practically killed my seedling.

The mother plant is showing slight signs of damage too. Couple of the leaves are browning, and they felt quite squishy when I touched them.

My next plan of action, read up a bunch here and realize these plants are actually not so full-sun friendly, and are dormant in the summer. Well, I'm putting them in the shade tomorrow with some indirect sunlight.

Hope it does better.

I believe my plant is an Asperula / Retusa breed. Saw some pictures and they looked similar, but I'm sure the care method should be the same.

-Bernard

Comments (80)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH