SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schwartzy18510

Should I mulch a 3' or 4' diameter around my dwarf fruit trees?

schwartzy18510
8 years ago

My new orchard of 18 dwarf fruit trees is planted in a quincunx design with 12' between trees. The trees were planted bare-root in early May, and we are preparing to put the finishing touches on the orchard with some pine bark mulch and edging around each tree.

I've read that mulching to the drip line is ideal for maximizing all the benefits of mulch. My trees have an expected mature size of 8-10', but I'm not prepared to mulch the entire floor of my orchard, which is what would more or less be required were I to mulch all the way to the anticipated drip line of each tree.

I've already purchased enough pine bark mulch and edging to mulch a 3' diameter circle around each tree, but I'm on the fence as to whether to mulch 3' or 4' diameter circles. I'm not planning on ever expanding the size of the mulched circles beyond what I initially install, due to the fact that I opted to purchase relatively expensive commercial-grade plastic edging and will be investing quite a bit of sweat equity in the installation.

Would a 4' diameter circle give my trees a significant advantage over a 3' diameter circle, or only marginally so?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting