SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celtic_dragonfire

Succulent houseplant dying of a strange disease

I've had this succulent - not sure the species - for over 12 years. Last year around January, it began to exhibit symptoms of some strange sort of disease. Small bumps appeared on the leaves and a few months later, the bumps erupted into indented lesions with a scaly/white brown crust. The plant stopped growing at all and started to die. The lesions were part of the leaf itself and could not be scraped off. When this happened, I took cuttings of as many uninfected stems as I could find, rooted them, and repotted them in a new pot. Those cuttings took off and have been growing happily in the new pot for the last 6 months, and really got huge quickly, so I thought the problem was over. But just in the last couple of days, suddenly those same scaly patches are erupting again on the new (and I thought healthy and happy) leaves.

I've attached pictures of a piece of the original plant as well as the new leaf that's just erupted in the same symptoms. There are no scale bugs or other insects on the plant. On the original plant, over the course of a year the scaly lesions spread over the leaves until they completely consumed them, and the plant entirely ceased to grow. Note from the picture that the original plant is sharing a pot with a different type of succulent, which did not appear to catch the disease.

Can anyone help me? Do you know what this is? Is there any way to treat it and save the plant?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!