SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dontmather

Help! Bizarre, soil dwelling houseplant pest

dontmather
4 years ago

Despite hours spent digging through endless online resources, I have had the hardest time pinpointing a pest explanation that really lines up with what I am looking at.

My Jade is happy. I have had her for a couple years now and she has grown like crazy. We live in Michigan, she spent the summer basking in a East(partial South) facing window at my apartment. We recently moved to a house just down the road, she's now sitting n a West facing window - it's a bright location that receives good light and despite the change in light direction she is still happy - showing no changes in physical appearance.

I was inspecting my plants a couple weeks ago, checking for pests any abnormalities. I was shining a light to illuminate the underside of the leaves of my Jade and noticed a glimmer in the soil - similar to light when it catches a speck of glitter. looking closer to see the glimmer was moving, quickly and in a high quantity.

There are to ns of them! They are fast, round, reddish/brown in color and tiny. They appear to be soil dwelling - I looked all over the leaves, stems, crevices - a small amount of them are hanging out around the base of the stem where it meets the soil but minimal in comparison to the amount moving around in the soil. I removed roughly 1/2"-1" of the top soil to see how deep the infestation goes and it stays consistent.

These photos are not great however they are the best I can provide, I had to use the magnifying lens on my iPhone because they are so small and hard to photograph.

Also, I should add that I've been holding off on watering just incase the infestation is related to moisture - the white residue you are seeing on the soil/stem base is from a organic insect removing soap that was sprayed on the soil in a feeble attempt to get rid of the pests and is settled on the surface for the time being until I flush the soil.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville