SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

1950s Ranch plus addition - need layout ideas!

alerievay1
8 years ago

I've spent some time in the Kitchens and Appliances forum, but this is my first time here! Thanks in advance for any help!

We purchased a 1950s ranch that has a fairly large "sunroom" addition from the 1980s. This leaves us with a lot of public room space and rooms that flow into one another. We're really struggling with how to arrange furniture in these rooms and, really, how to use the rooms in a way that makes sense.

Areas/rooms we need/want:

1. Formal dining - we are a family of 3 but have a table that seats up to 6 (plus additional, if we added more chairs and all the leaves). We try to eat dinner together at the dining table.

2. TV space - our current TV space is pictured on the floorplan. We have a 3-seat sofa, chair, and ottoman in that space. We are getting a new sofa, chair, and ottoman next week, which is what's prompting this discussion. We only have one television right now, but we will probably add one later.

3. Formal living - we would like to have a TV-free room that can serve as a formal seating area. We currently have this in the front room, which is indicated on the drawing.

4. Office area - This could take several forms. Right now, we have a desk in the "sunroom" nook opposite the TV space. We aren't really using the desk anymore. What would be more useful to us is a bookshelf area with a smaller dining table for working and informal dining. If we are working from home, it's typically at the dining room table or on the couch, for better or worse.

5. Bar area - We plan to put additional cabinetry in the current dining room space to add pantry and appliance storage and a built-in beverage refrigerator or beer dispenser. This could move, but I don't know of anywhere that would be as close to the kitchen. Right now, pantry/appliance storage is in the washer/dryer closet and the other closet in the sunroom.

6. Hobby area - I have a lot of fiber arts equipment, and the former dining room is currently the spinning wheel room.

My thoughts/ideas in the next post!

Comments (5)