SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

1950's ranch kitchen renovation - layout help

lovetorenovate
12 years ago

Hi again, I have not been on this forum for quite some time... but since I'm renovating another house (#8), I thought I'd bounce some ideas off this very talented group.

The house is a 50's ranch. It's less than half our current square footage (4500 to 2000 - boo hoo in many ways... but overall it's a good move to downsize now). I'm the mom to two boys (5 & 8) and three step kids (8, 10, and 13). We eat at home the majority of the time - although half the time it's just my husband and I while the kids are with their other parent.

In this downsize - we've carefully looked at how we use space in our current house and decided to eliminate the formal dining room - which I'll use for my office (I work from home full time). This will leave us 3 bedrooms for the kids (we're adding a master bed/bath/exercise area/and craft room off the rear of the house with a door from the den.) I'm a big fan of the not so big house - so I'm hoping to streamline our space and just focus on what we use the most - and to me that means we need a great eating area in the kitchen. In our current house we mainly eat at our large island - it's about 50" by 100" (seats all 7 of us) but I'd much prefer to be facing everyone instead of an L and be on standard dining chairs.... so my ideal kitchen has a banquette that will fit us all - or 6 adults (since the smaller kids squeeze together often).

Here's the current house layout (we are removing the wall between the Den and Kitchen and I'm not opposed to stealing some space from the den).

Here's an idea for a layout. The downside is that we cut off the dining room (what will be my office). While it's my office it's a good thing - but long term I think it could affect resale a bit since the connection is lost to the kitchen. Another plus of moving the doorway from LR to Den is that we'll have more connection to the living room space visually which will increase our use of that area (I don't have space in this house for a formal living room and we'd likely not use it - but we do need room for someone to play the wii in the den and watch tv in the living room). Please ignore the dotted line which should represent the supporting beam - it's actually in the wrong place in this photo.

Here's another option - which has a small island and the banquette on the back wall. The island would probably be triangular in shape. This plan doesn't move the dining room door at all. It just seems tight to me with all the traffic flow... any suggestions to improve it?

Comments (12)