SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bic9

fixing my greens

bic9
8 years ago

So in a nut shell. I just got this job as a greens keeper about 4 5 months ago at this poor little golf course in the low desert of Arizona. And the last superintendent here of 5 year's did not give a .... so it all just went to heck and now I'm trying to get my greens back in working order.

About my greens. Bermuda, soil and sand based, cut at 1.2000, PH about 7- 7.5, nitrogen is about zero, potassium and phosphorus are of the charts or at least that's what this store bought soil test kit says. A lot of them have eucalyptus trees around them but shade damage seems small and I seem to have a little fungus problem that started after I think I fertilized to much. Just lighter color circles seems to cause no real damage.

How I've have been trying to do to fix this is vertacut, top soil with sand, solid tin punch (once this year) and spread fertilizer. And I have to say it seems to be working.

# 1 - 5

So on to my sod area I tried to make, its mostly clay based and ugly as. I replaced some small areas on my greens it worked out ok I figured I'd just change the soil profile little by little by coring and filling em with sand. and then I tried to do a big chunk on my #18... Ha... It was messed up in the first place by my boss and believe it or not a gold card greens keeper thy were trying to make it bigger. But so far I just messed it up more my self I'm starting to think the only recourse is to till and redo the whole green.

Sod # 3 - 18

Its about 114f out here right now so over seeding is kind of out the window unless I can water it 18x a day and by the time I will be able to will be over seeding for winter. So let's see if I can keep my job here and try to fix this. I'm up for any good ideas.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County