SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Do you read or research your questions?

Marie Tulin
8 years ago

I have, haven't, do and don't.

I completely understand just needing an answer and needing it quickly. So I go to Gardenweb and get the first hand low down.

But I also read, research the web, review field trials and own (and read) some respectable reference books.

On Gardenweb, It is pretty obvious who has gone beyond getting the answers from other people or simply reading the garden tags. (I'm differentiating between "getting other people's experiences" and "just getting answers to gardening questions." )Was there a point in your own growth as a gardener that you put in the extra time and effort to learn for yourself? Maybe I'm wondering about what curiosity is and how it leads to learning.

I wonder because I realized half of what I write here I don't know from first hand experience but from reading. I have planted a half dozen each lamium or echinaceas and watched them thrive or die, but there's more objective information and bigger samples about them in published field trials from MOBOT, Chicago Botanic Gardens, Clematis on the Web etc.

Newer gardeners, do you look at some of these references when they given? Or am I miscalculating the time or effort people have?

Comments (26)