SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianknight1

Gisela 5 Vs Gisela 12. Which one to choose? + pruning question

First, thanks to all GW members cranking out their experiences and recommendations. Iam in Western North Carolina on a south slope with heavy loam. Its kind of a strange microclimate in the "asheville valley" that is plenty wet but can also get much drier than surrounding areas due to a rain shadow effect.

On 2nd year from 5g plants (not sure how old) Blackyork and Regina from a local nursery. They are on dwarf stock but not sure which ones. Growing great although they did defoliate a bit early last year from cherry leaf spot but will spray to reduce it this year if I see it coming on.

I observed the blooming periods were too far apart this spring and want to add a blackgold and hudson to help. Iam considering putting one in the ground next to the others and another 2 varieties in 20-30g smart pots.

Adams county nursery (thanks fruitnut!) says they will be offering sweet cherries on G5 and 12 for the coming year. I found this boyer nursery link on rootstocks but it talks of G6. G12 sounds awesome but fruit may be delayed a few seasons compared to G5. Any advice?

Also this is my Regina. Ive been training the branches low and open which has triggered these sucker-like branch sprouts. Should I cut all these out or keep a few? Thanks!

Comments (3)