SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drgsinha

My Adeniums in New Delhi

Sinha
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks to Kadie for pushing me to begin a new thread about my adenium progress. Actually my journey started fairly recently. The word "Adenium" came into my life in May 15 when someone in my office mentioned that their's was flowering. I asked what was it, as I had never heard of it before and was soon enlightened about them through my work friends as well as Google images. Well being out of gardening a good 15 yrs ( after the kids grew up and our continuous lives in apartments all around the country due to a transferable job) I was once again caught up in the mystique of the "desert rose". Which was until that day just a song by STING to me. On the very next weekend I paid a visit to the nearby nursery and picked up six plants at Rs.600/ each. Grafted adeniums flowering too. Then I read up some more about the soil etc and set about getting the right soil mix. The vegetable vendor in the colony where I reside was asked for coconut husk(to be cut into bits) and someone else for some grit and sand from a construction site, until I read about Perlite and vermiculite. Then found a supplier of perlite who also had coco peat bricks but he requested me to come and collect them, because he only supplied wholesale. I went about 10 kms to pick up those and thereafter on 15th May mixed up the ingredients to transfer the plants to containers I had bought.

The next day someone mentioned small seedlings for sale at RS.20 each and yours truly was first in line to go buy them at that nursery. So 05 seedlings also added to the collection. In the third week however one evening the pink flowered adenium died ( the best one of the lot) I was heart broken and tried my best to save it but no joy.

With a heavy heart I was back at that nursery from where I had picked up the earlier ones but they were sold out, however they had some plants with seed pods but no flowers and so this time bought 04 plants and 03 of these had seed pods. So today I am proud mum to 15 adenium plants. The last 04 ones have been shedding leaves since transplantation to pots ( they were in bags)

These are the first ones (six), the pink on the left is the one that died on me. More pics follow as the upload order is reverse ( new pic comes above the first one)

After transplanting into new containers

The yellow pink adenium

All my adeniums (fifteen) including the dead one (3rd from right in 2nd row)

They live in the sun on my terrace and are brought inside the moment its thunder/rain.

Forgot to add that after the first adenium died (the pink one) I removed by sieving all the sand that I had added to these pots because I felt the sand was not allowing good drainage of water but retaining it too much along with coco chips

Comments (114)