SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigershark1976

Pine wood shavings with Synthetic Urea for clay soil mix

tigershark1976 _
8 years ago

I have heavy claysoil in my backyard and its so bad that I couldnt find a single earthworm after digging a 0.5 meter depth hole.

There are parts of the soil that were improved with compost (raise bed) but its taking me a few years to generate sufficient compost to achieve that. I wanted a faster way to improve the oil so that it could be more suitable for planting.

I'm planning to use 40 kg worth of dry pine wood shavings (around 1 cubic meter) and mix with the claysoil for my new raise bed (about 4m lenght x 1m width x 0.5meter depth x 0.5 meter height). I undestand that mixing the clay directly with pine shavings would worsen the situation in short term (nitrogen used up by pine shavings) so this is my plan.

I will mix the pine shavings with urea progressively, with some matured compost as starter. 1kg of synthetic urea (46% nitrogen) will be mix in water, and pour evenly to the pine shavings pile weekly (to achieve 20:1 C/N ratio) for a month. The pine shavings will be turn every 3 days for areation. After 4 week, where the wood shavings have absorb sufficient nitrogen, i will the use it to mix with clay soil to create the raise bed. I will continue to add 200g of urea/water mix to pour to the soil for another 1 to 2 month for the pine shavings to get stabilized.

Does it sound workable?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths