SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Let's talk shoes...

rubyclaire
8 years ago

Like many women, I love shoes. However, I have had to make adjustments as I age (50 +). My go-to pumps have always been Stuart Weitzman - pointed toe, 90 - 100mm. I have a couple of higher-end designer pumps but they are either a little higher or a bit "flashier". My feet seem to have grown fussier as I get older - wider but not as cushy.

I'm curious if others have found great shoes - flats, sandals or pumps that work well for their own aging feet. I can recommend AGL flats, Birkenstock Gizeh's and most SW and some Cole Haan. What are your go-to shoes?

Comments (78)

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I seemed to be having some issues with plantar fasciitis a few years back. I had a pair of Crocs I wore to the dog park when it was muddy and found they were easier on my feet, so I tried some of their sandals. I know the clogs are considered a joke in most circles, but they have some flats and sandals that are fun and comfortable like this one. I mention that because of the mention of plantar faciitis and their cushy soles. They got me past whatever was happening then, but they no longer make my size.

SInce then, Aerosoles have been one of my regular selecions, I also have some Hush Puppies ballet flats that I really like and some Vaneli's. Most of the others mentioned here don't come in my size either -- though I do have one pair of Sperry's that I like but are a bit too wide. I only wear flats and near flats since DH is shorter than I am and the height difference has increased over the years. ;)

• Sueb20
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't have any specific foot issues but comfort is key for me. Josef Seibel shoes usually are my go-to for a nice but casual sandal. I have a pair of black sandals that I've just about worn out -- would love to just get the same pair but they don't seem to make them any more. Similar to the Claudia sandal but the Claudia didn't feel as comfortable when I tried it. I recently got these as a casual alternative to flip flops, and they are super comfortable and cute.

http://www.zappos.com/josef-seibel-tonga-04-bronze

And these are my favorite flip flops ever! I usually buy 1-2 new pairs every year because I wear them so much.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/82403?feat=630-GN1&page=maine-isle-flip-flops-woven-print

• Related Discussions

Lets Talk About Bleach Baby, Lets Talk About You And ...

Q

Comments (64)
    Mich, I've seen that in the stores and wondered about it. Some detergents don't have enzymes, I stear clear most of the time, however not every load is tragic, so not every load needs enzymes. If there's not a bunch of stains and the clothes just have the normal dust and body oils, that bottle of All probably does a nice job on darks and colors. I'm a powder fan but lately I've been enjoying some liquids, lol. Actually I have found liquids without enzymes make my sheets feel very smooth, I've been using a new boutique one I've run across, I'm not sure yet though if its the lack of enzymes or because its a liquid, but they do feel better I'll send a pic of it in a sec.
    ...See More

Let’s talk moss spheres

Q

Comments (1)
    They have been around for 30 years or that is as far back as I remember seeing them! They are just decorative. The ones I have seen over the years are faux and require no care, other than trying to dust them. They have been out for a while, so I see how they might be making a comeback. Have to keep selling "new" stuff to the next generation of homeowners!
    ...See More

Let’s talk about kitchen linens!

Q

Comments (15)
    I've tried so many dishtowels and dish cloths, expensive and inexpensive, and have finally settled on a cotton waffle brand from Target. They're absorbent, textured enough to clean countertops and dishes, the size is good, plus having dark wash cloths that don't show stains so easily helps them last longer in the kitchen. They're stored in a kitchen drawer, and the wet dish cloth at the sink is rotated out daily. Wet linens are draped over the side of a plastic laundry basket tucked away in the laundry room until they dry so they don't get stinky which then require multiple washings or extra laundry additives. They're usually washed with our bath towels. I like the linens to match the color scheme of the kitchen. When they get worn or heavily stained, they're either moved to the outdoor kitchen or to a rag bin under the laundry sink.
    ...See More

Let’s talk “appropriate”………

Q

Comments (164)
    Oh yeah I don’t think I had a manicure or pedicure until I was probably 35! I am horrible at shaping nails and my cuticles grow huge, so a manicure is great. I don’t have super long nails, and I usually just do regular polish though I will do gel manicure for travel sometimes. I love the foot massge with pedicures. I’ve asked DH to join me for a pedicure, but he’s not interested nor is MIL in joining me for either so I just go alone. No tattoos. We are probably the only un-tatooed people at any rock show we go to LOL. I would definitely get something of all my cats if I did. I’ve seen some super cool ones of cats, either line draws or something really whimsical or realistic.
    ...See More
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone - these are all great suggestions! I'm going to keep my eyes open for more peep-toe pumps and see if they help.

• User
    8 years ago

Check out the Neima style of Softspots as well as their regular pumps.

Couple of examples, the Neima and Salude

http://www.softspots.com/Default.aspx

rubyclaire thanked User
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

I love crocs (sandals- never clogs). They are pretty much the only shoes I wear, unless I am going to a very fancy dinner or event. I used to absolutely love Lazee Dog memory foam sandals but I don't think they make them any more. I've looked and looked :(

rubyclaire thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • furbydaphneoscar
    8 years ago

I have these croc wedges and they are very comfortable. Not comfortable, like go hiking or shop all day in them, but comfortable enough for a mile or so stroll or grocery shopping or such.

http://www.amazon.com/crocs-Womens-A-Leigh-Leather-Slingback/dp/B005CMQZBY/ref=cts_sh_2_fbt

rubyclaire thanked furbydaphneoscar
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I've been very happy with a couple of pair of Eileen Fisher shoes I bought lately. I bought the 'Sport' sandals, and although the they feel a bit heavy, they are very comfortable. I nearly wore out a pair of low-heeled suede booties last winter, so I hope they come out with a similar style this year. I definitely got my money's worth.

rubyclaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    8 years ago

I prefer bags to shoes as they're much easier for me to shop for. I have very fussy feet, not too wide, not too big, no bunions, just flat footed and fussy. Luckily, I can dress casual for work and sketchers are my go to shoes. Still they come off the minute I walk in the door. :c)

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

I generally wear Mephisto but I picked up a pair of these in Marshall's for only 39.95 and I wear the often. Very comfy. I need a shoe with a strong arch so I seldom find any as good as Mephisto and I'm not say these are but they're great for around town.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

I had a bout of plantar fasciitis a summer ago. Since then I try to stick to shoes with arch support. I have a few pairs of Naot sandals that are great. I also wear Vionic (orthaheel) shoes/sandals as my inhouse shoes/slippers (I never go barefoot, even before the PF issue). I have a pair of Merrill hiking sneakers that also have nice arch support.

For fall/winter, I have a pair of rather ugly Clarks but they are so, so comfortable I can walk forever. I just try not to look down at my feet. And they're mostly covered because I only wear boot cut jeans.

At least with closed shoes, I can add an orthotic if necessary and go on my merry way. It's so sad during sandal season when a sandal doesn't have support because it can't be added. So many pretty sandals had to be left behind at the store since they're not supportive.

rubyclaire thanked hhireno
  • Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I also have fussy feet and have always had a hard time finding shoes. I broke my ankle last year and that compounds the problem as I can no longer wear heels. I need a somewhat square toe with a tall toe box. Has anyone found fall toe box shoes of any sort? Athletic shoes and sandals are usually easy enough to find, but dress and casual shoes are downright impossible.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Foot Smart sent me a catalog. They are focussed on comfort and relieving foot problems, so that might be a good place to look.

rubyclaire thanked lascatx
  • Olychick
    8 years ago

bluebell, look at Naot brand. I see hhireno mentioned them. I find them so comfy -great arch support, etc. I have a few different styles and just sent for these...sometimes I don't want an open toed sandal, but still a summery looking shoe.
    Naot Rango

Justterilyn, are you familiar with Jambu? I think they meet your criteria for cute, walkable, and good footing. I've even worn mine into the saltwater while keeping a steady foot on the rocks. They are so comfortable, good arch support. Search for other styles, but I think these are cute (beauty in the eye, etc).

Jambu Charley

• User
    8 years ago

Oly, those are both really cute and great looking shoes! Hmmm…..

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I love the Jambu in Red because it's such a beautiful shade, but I'm not a red shoe kind of gal. Maybe someone here is, so check out the red.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

I keep thinking I need something like the Jambu for my summer travels. But I've lived this long without it so maybe I don't. Ooo, but they are cute. And you say they have arch support?

In 2013 when I spent a month in Europe, I only had my Naot sandal, my Merrill hiker, and a pair of leather ankle boots and those covered every situation adequately. OTHO, I could buy the Jambu and save them for travel, like I do with the Merrill hiker, and not be as hard on my every day Naot. What is a girl to do? I know me, if I get them then I'll feel like I need to travel and test them out right away. So unnecessary $100 shoes turns into a $$$$ trip. My husband will be so excited.

• User
    8 years ago

I think Merrill has gone so downhill since they first came out. I think they're another company that rode the wave of its initial great quality, lowered the quality to increase profits, hoping no one would notice and continue buying based on the name and its original reputation.

I really like that Jambu in the navy.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

My Jambus have one piece rubber soles with built in arch support. I assume the ones shown are similar. Very comfy and good grip on wet rocks, pavement.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I can see this thread is going to cost me some money. Now I want those Jambu Charley shoes.

Actually I was going to mention my Merrill clogs because I love them so much. I don't know the name of them, but I have those mesh clogs that come in several colors. I like them for travel because they are as comfortable as a sneaker without being a sneaker. I can wear them all day, walking, without any issues. They're not the most stylish shoes, but IMO they're more stylish than sneakers. I have them in navy, so they work well with my uniform of jeans and more jeans.

• User
    8 years ago

Sue, if you like clogs, check out Klogs Naples. I don't care for clogs, have never found them comfortable, but the Klogs Naples are the most comfortable shoes I own.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Interesting about the decrease in quality on Merrills. Mine are pretty old. They are reserved for travel so they are holding up well. It will be years until I worry about replacing them. And if I have the Jambu Charley, I won't wear the Merrills as much. Yet another reason I need them.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I have always chosen form over function when it comes to shoes. I have black pointy toed pumps on now. Two weeks ago I found a Michael Kors pointy toe heel that I loved. I tried it on and it seemed to fit perfectly. The first day I wore them I started having trouble. They fit fine in the morning but as the day progressed they were more and more uncomfortable. I will wear them again but only when I am going out for dinner and will be sitting rather than standing.

When I retire I will be wearing mostly ballet flats around the house. Taryn Rose has a great reputation for comfy shoes but they also look clunky to me so I haven't bought any yet.

rubyclaire thanked Holly- Kay
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Some great shares here - thank you! While casual shoes were not my immediate need, I have some great options now. I guess my fantasy was someone was going to chime in with "I have these 4" Jimmy Choo stiletto heels and they are the most comfortable shoes I own!" Sigh...a middle-aged woman can dream :)

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I agree Ruby! I love gorgeous shoes and still pine for really high heels!

• User
    8 years ago

Me too me too! I browsed the thread hoping to find glamorous but comfy shoes. I think I will re-entertain some of the easy spirit and soft spot ones. I know Naot is super comfy and they do have more shoe options as opposed to just sandals, but they are rather $$. I did like the Joan and David ones HollyKay posted- they are not exceedingly glamorous but they are not super clunky so that's a plus.

In the meantime, if you find some really glamorous comfy shoes that will fit my aching fussy feet- please do share.

• terezosa / terriks
    8 years ago

" Is there any such thing as a non CLUNKY stylish shoe with a bit of tread on the bottom for minor trail walks that would look good with skinny casual-ish ankle pants or shorts?"

Can you add to that "don't look like clown shoes"?

My feet are long, but they aren't wide, and most shoe companies don't do widths anymore. I need a size 11, (sometimes a 10, and the shoe companies have mostly decided that nobody needs a 10.5) but my feet just swim in most sandals and slip on shoes because they are too wide for me. Fortunately I don't have any problems with my feet other than neuropathy, but my choice of footwear doesn't really effect that. In fact they seem to feel better if I wear a bit of a heel.

Anyway, I'd like to find a couple of pairs of casual shoes to take on our river cruise. Maybe some sandals and some closed shoes.

And for anyone looking, these Bob's by Skechers are cute and comfortable, but might not be long enough for my foot. :( I've got a pair from Zappos in taupe. Bob's Pureflex Prima Ballerina

I did find these Born sandals that come in a bunch of colors that I might order. I tried them on at Macy's, and although they are a little wide for me, the thong keeps my foot from sliding forward. Born Mai at Zappos

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

For comfy sandals that are not clunky looking, check out Merrell Agave. I wore them throughout the streets of Europe on two trips and they were so comfortable. They go well with skirts, dresses and slacks-can be dressed up or down.http://www.zappos.com/merrell-agave-2-lavish-bracken

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For sheila, holly or anyone looking for a comfy high heel, I can wear these day and night and find them very comfortable for a high heel. Even with my increasingly fussy feet. Just wish they weren't so pricey. http://www.zappos.com/stuart-weitzman-power-black-patent?ef_id=VT0GwQAAAGduzk3W:20150610124952:s

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Terriks, I have a foot on the thinner side as well. Not a special order thin but those huge rounded toe beds just look and feel horrible on me. For sandals I'm sticking with my Fitflops, have a million of those and have walked Europe several times in them. As for the shoes I need that have tread and can be worn with shorts or ankle pants...sheesh what a nightmare!!! I have gone to close to fifty stores this week and NOTHING. I have one or two shoe stores left. One sells Marc Joseph leather driver moc's with tread. They have a less dense tread sole than I wanted but I'm getting desperate. I bought some waterproofing spray at wally land because finding what I want in a waterproof is impossible. Those Sketchers you posted are comfortable. I wish I could have bought those but I will be in Scotland and those would not work in the rain I think. http://www.marcjosephnewyork.com/home_products.php?cat=89&page=all

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Jterrilynn, I know exactly what you mean. I wear a 9.5 generally and have a narrow heel with a fairly narrow foot overall with a very high instep. It drives me crazy that I have to buy up to get something to fit my length and then it's usually flops on my foot. I can't wear ballet flats or anything that doesn't come up high enough on my instep or I will get foot cramps just trying to keep it on my foot. The Merrell sandals do work on in a size 9 for me as a rule but I haven't bought any lately. If it is closed toe I have to go to a 10 unless it is available in the half size. Those Skechers are cute. I've also had fairly good luck with the Jambu brand like this one. http://www.zappos.com/jambu-charley-grey. I'm thinking about ordering it for an upcoming trip to Oregon as an all-purpose shoe.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I have a pair of those Marc Josephs. They are pretty comfy, but I have an old pair of Born driving mocs and I like them better. The leather is softer. Not much arch support on either but you could use inserts if that is needed I suppose.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    8 years ago

Size 9.5B, flat feet. No open-toed shoes at work. Summer sandals are Merrells. Teva Mush flip flops. Cobb Hill by New Balance shoes for work (cute t-straps and "fisherman" styles with open work weaving and closed toes). Also Munro for comfortable flats. Stuart Weisman dress pumps and sandals. New Balance sneakers.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Ruby, the SW are lovely! I just love a high heeled plain pump as they are so versatile.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

JT, I almost forgot...I have worn several Eileen Fisher shoes, boots and sandals and find them very comfortable for my feet. I've been looking at the 'Mime' slip-on. It's sort of like a loafer but in stretchy crepe with leather trim and a ridged bottom. I would have to order it from, I forget, either N-M or Nordstroms which I haven't done yet. There is also another brand I've seen but not bought called Gentle Souls. They look comfortable but don't know if they really are.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I will see if Eileen Fisher is somewhere near I'm on store #54 now so one more won't matter. I tried the Marc Josephs today and see what you mean, kinda whimpy on support. And, as with most flats I felt I had surf boards strapped to the bottom of my feet. Not because they were inflexible but I just felt duck-ish. I may just have to wait and get something in the UK. Ill tell you one thing I will never move to a place with cold weather and all because the foot fashion is so fugly!!!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

The 'Mime' was at Neiman's. I ordered a pair today. Will see how they do. They were only $99 & I will return if not comfy. I am with you on the whole cold weather thing.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In my unending quest to understand and adapt to the changes that come with this phase of life - including changes in my feet, I came across this little article...

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/may/26/how-to-keep-your-feet-looking-great-when-youre-older

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Stop the press! Store #57, I found shoes.

This may be of
    interest to narrow-er foot people. As mentioned above I needed a shoe to wear
    with skinny-ish ankle pants and shorts that I could also use for minor terrain in Scotland. So, I
    needed some tread. I had a heck of a time as most shoes had big ugly bulbous
    toe beds. For A brief time I looked at slip-ons but decided against that
    because when I got the length that fit they where too wide and slippy and I
    could see some blisters in my future. I mostly ruled out tennis or workout
    shoes because I’m just not the sort to wear them around town, plus they clashed
    with my outfits as most were so colorful.

So, I bought these Coach Moonlight sneaker shoes in a nice cream color called /chaulk with
    that little bit of somthin somthin on the back. Not quite a workout shoe and a bit more fashionable. The toes are just right (not too pointy or too round) and have a little more of a feminine look. Comfort wise on a scale from one to five they are a four. They are a four for now until I break in the leather. Not that the leather is stiff, its not, it's a nice Napa leather.

Glad the shoe thing is OVER for me!

EDITED to add: I forgot to mention that I tried on a few Coach shoes and they all seemed to run a tic narrow. Not very narrow but a nice fit if you have a slim to norm foot.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Ya did good! I think they look great and fit your needs perfectly. So glad you found something. I would have run out of patience a looooong time ago.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Thanks Outside! I become obsessive until I solve the dilemma and never give up. My husband was so happy it was over he didn't even do his usual " how much did those things cost"?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

My usual rule is for enclosed shoes, they must be leather upper. But I'm glad I broke the rule when I bought these pumps...Comfort Plus by predictions in nude. And at Payless, no less! I didn't need them for anything at the time, but they felt so good when I put them on. The rounded toe box was great for my toes, I got them in wide width and the heel height was enough to be elegant and not too much to be hard to walk in. Then DH's cousin got married in April in a barn and it was sooo cold, we danced all night just to keep warm. These shoes never pinched, blistered, corned or ached my feet at all. I never thought that would happen in my feet in pumps.f

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

So many great shoe suggestions here...I'm thinking I need to go shoe shopping again!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

This might be of interest. Shoes tour guides wear.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Got my EF Mime's and just tried them. Am in shoe love so far. I will wear them around the house a little to make sure but they were immediately comfortable, even in my instep. No pinching anywhere and with a good feeling insole. I think these will be good for our Oregon trip for general walking when I don't want to wear sandals, and I will have my hiking boots along for the big hikes.

Annie that was an interesting article, but many of those shoes don't work for me sadly. I can't tell you how many times I have returned shoes to Zappos. What I really need is a size 9.75 on my left foot and a 9.5 or slightly smaller on my right.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie- those are amazing- and payless no less!! Going to have to check that out. When I clicked on the link, there were other attractive shoes across the bottom. The heels are a tad high for me, but for a special occasion- definitely will be checking out payless for a little dressier shoe. As I said, I am fine with finding flats and sandals, but for a little nicer shoe my feet hurt just thinking about it.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Outside, I made a special trip to the Eileen Fisher store at the mall to look at those and they didn't sell shoes. How crazy is that? Those look very comfortable!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Argh! What a disappointment! They are missing a lot of sales by not carrying the shoe line.