SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hbowen8754

Don Juan Red Climbing Roses Changing Color?

hbowen8754
8 years ago

Hello,

I have been growing Don Juan Red Climbing Roses for around 5 or 6 years now. They've done great for the most part and I adore them, however the winter before last we had a historically cold winter and I lost many plants, including one Don Juan and then half of another. I replaced the dead one with a white climbing rose and trimmed the poor damaged one, and this year they're doing great, in fact, the Don Juan which I wasn't sure was even going to make it is doing better than I've ever seen it before. It shot up another 4 or so feet last year, and this year there were about 2-3x as many blooms as I've ever seen, at least 4-5 per stem, it's absolutely overflowing with blooms, however instead of the deep red I'm used to, they're a dark hot pink. I couldn't find anything about this happening elsewhere, does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there anything I can do to make them closer to that red I loved so much? While the pink is fine, it's just not what I was looking for in that particular bed.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor