SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Don Juan - replace with another DJ or a new rose?

peachymomo
12 years ago

I have Don Juan and White Eden climbing roses planted next to each other that have been given the exact same treatment, water, and fertilizer and the WE is doing great while the DJ is doing terribly. White Eden is in the midst of the second flush, has lots of flowers and healthy leaves and has grown taller than me (I'm 5'7") while the Don Juan has only one tall cane that is about 3', has few unhealthy leaves, and has only put out a few pathetic and misshapen flowers all year.

I got both from the same nursery, a reputable rose nursery, but the DJ was in a pot and looked to be in pretty bad shape when I rescued it at the end of the summer, whereas the WE was a bare-root planted in early spring that was always very healthy and vigorous.

My questions is this: Should I get a new Don Juan next spring and plant it in hopes that it will do better, or should I choose a different red climber? If so, what would be a good choice? I wanted a nice deep red that had a 'romantic' look that would go well with White Eden and the other neighbor Sombreuil. I have an Altissimo in a different spot but I think of that as a more 'happy' looking rose so I didn't want to put it in my romantic corner.

Advice or suggestions?

Comment (1)