SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

patented roses and cuttings

sharon2079
8 years ago

I saw a thread on this site the other day and it got me to thinking

how do you know if your the rose in one's garden has a patent? Especially if one doesn't know the name or where it came from- especially if you weren't the one that planted it?

two- if you did plant it and it seems to have some kind of sport - are you allowed to make a cutting of that is that considered the same rose or is it considered a new rose?

Not that I could.... I have tired all kinds of methods - baggy, mason jars, and burrito.... I guess I am doomed to having a black thumb.... but I would like to know especially about the sport.....

thanks for the info- just curious at this time---- i did a have a sport a few years ago. It was on a rose in my garden.... I did not know much about it. It was given to me. It had a weird looking flower and weird looking leaves for the rest of the plant. Very pretty a different color and different shape of leaf I clipped it.... before I know not to do this.... but it died shortly after I tried this..... at that time I didn't even know it was call a sport. Since then the plant has continued to look like a normal plant

Comments (13)