SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenenvy22

Apple and Pear tree help

greenenvy22
8 years ago

Hi all,

We have and apple tree and two pear trees in our backyard that were there when we moved in.

Pear trees:

They look to be at least 10 years old. One I believe is Bosc, the other I have no idea.

This is our 4th summer in the house, and not once have we gotten more than 3-4 pears from either tree.

Every year it's the same, almost no flowers, but the trees look healthy and have plenty of leaves.

We've tried different ways of pruning them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've read up on it, and most sites suggest it's either a pruning issue or they have too many nutrients so they are just producing leaves. We've never fertilized them or the grass around them, so I don't know what to do if they are indeed getting to many nutrients.

We're almost at the point of ripping them out to put in a cherry and peach tree, but thought I'd look for some advice first.

See the pic of the two trees with the hammock in between. This was from early May 2013. This year they actually had a couple dozen flowers on them, but I think we got 1 pear on one tree, and 2 on the other.

Apple tree:

This looks older, it's much bigger than the pear trees. We don't prune it as heavily as we should because we use it for shade for a picnic table under it. It does produce a couple dozen apples a year, but even when it flowers, there are maybe 30-40 flowers on it. Our neighbours apple tree has hundreds of flowers.

This winter I cut off a couple of the bigger branches in the middle to to try and get more light into the center. It does have a lot of peeling/cracked bark, not sure if that's normal or not.

This pic is also from 2013.

So any thoughts from anyone on things we can try?

Comments (4)