SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holiday555

fire in a SMALL old coal fireplace

8 years ago

Hi, I went to a local fireplace shop and they told me I had only one option for my shallow fireplace (1873 house, previous owner had a woodstove in front of it that I removed) - the Valor Portrait Windsor Arch. I did not love the look of it, but I could deal with that to make my husband happy (he wants fire in winter above all else), but it actually will not fit! I need 36" hight and I have 33 (up to the very bottom of the medallion) and I need 26 wide and I think I have about 25". I have the (gorgeous) summer cover on there now and have plans to tile the hearth.

my question is twofold: is there another insert I can use somehow or someone who will retrofit one somehow? or, if I need to convert the whole fireplace into a firebox (mentioned by the guys at the shop) what is involved with that?? Floor in there is currently wood and brick is in rough shape with a stuffed up vent to and back (not sure which was used for the stove)

(Ignore those tile samples, they are just protecting kiddie feet from the rough wood underneath and protruding nails - plan to tile hearth in matte black small subway or hex tile if I can find it, summer cover has since been cleaned and painted matte black.)

Comments (19)