SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Options for a old grand fireplace

DrB477
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Under contract on this large Tudor home built ~1930. The fireplace is large approx 71x46x26. It is currently (per sellers) in working order. While the new house is amazing in many ways, there are a few things about our current home that I really don't want to do without and were put in thinking our current house was a forever home, one of which is our gas fireplace. We previously installed a Jotul gas insert that I love for both looks, heat, and ease of use but even the largest inserts (I currently have the largest insert in a 48" fireplace) would be comically small in such a fireplace. We liked it enough to also have the largest Jotul gas stove put in our basement fireplace (its the same fireplace on different floors, so also 48" opening) which I think something similar could maybe be an option but sort of worried that would look way too small also. I don't really want ventless logs and I know vented logs don't provide much heat.

Any thoughts about options? How would a stove look in the hearth? Can you use a fireplace rather than an insert and make it look reasonably good (I've looked at some larger fireplace dimensions and height seems to be a problem for many of them)?

Thanks in advance!

First pic is the new house (staged from the listing), second is a fireplace close up. Last three are current home (very much unstaged from what I had in my google photos).

Comments (14)