SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicsgirl

I'm Growing Older / So Are You

vicsgirl
8 years ago

Sigh, I passed my 62nd birthday last November. I've been having trouble with my hair, nails and teeth. My hair is thinning. No bald spots, but there's a lot more skin visible at my ears and temples. And I thought women didn't get bald. HA!, And there's lots of gray. My hairdresser- daughter says it looks like siver high-lights. My nails are terrible- dry, splitting, easily peeling. Wearing nail polish or nail-improving coatings doesn't do much. And my back gums are infected right now. After the infection calms down, I'm going back to the dentist for a good cleaning and to have a broken filling replaced. How are you doing in being past-middle-age but not yet considered elderly ?

Comments (45)

• janey_alabama
    8 years ago

Are you taking anything for your infected gums?

I am 58 & boy am I turning grey! But thankfully my hair is not thinning. I put Sally Hanson vitamin E oil on my nails that does help with the dryness, but they still break easily.

My husband got his driver's license renewed & the lady asked him "do you want me to change your hair color to grey?" Well he had to say yes!

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

Although some of this stuff just happens, all of it at the same time & all of it to an extreme measure (not just a bit less hair but some visible scalp, nails not just dry but splitting) sounds like low thyroid function.

I do sympathize/empathize, though.

I'm within a couple of years of you, & my main problems (that I know of!) are creakiness/achiness & a bit of trouble sometimes retrieving the right word.

like..."what was his name? you know, the guy in the Little Rascals that played the tambourine?"

Please do get your thyroid checked;

life is challenging enough with all systems working at full capacity!

• Related Discussions

Hubby thinks I'm nuts, so may you, but I had to re-paint! (pics)

Q

Comments (38)
    Here's a glimpse of my 10 y/o son's room. It needs help. After seeing your before and after pictures and actually seeing my uploaded picture, I'm strongly considering painting the slanted walls in his room. We recently replaced his carpet with the hardwood, removed popcorn texture, painted his room, and put up that ceiling fan that "he" picked out. I have not got to the accessorizing part yet, so there is not much to see (except red walls and those slanted walls that now really seem to stick out like a sore thumb). Whenever I get to that point, I will post more pictures. Again I love the color of your son's room, and I hope you will post it again after it is decorated. BTW I don't think you're nuts:)
    ...See More

If you are an 'Older Woman' - so what?

Q

Comments (24)
    Don't have insecurity per se, but definitely feel like I'm headed away from 20 - not as comfortable as I'd like to be with that. It's not because of age; I KNOW I don't want to be 20 again - EVER. But, somehow I keep thinging that the end is near, even if it's 30 years from now. I miss enjoying the things that I did, or could do when I was younger. It's not to say that I sit in a rocking chair all day because I don't - work all day, then sit in the rocker - LOL. But when I'm around younger folks, I really feel different and can't get used to that. When I'm around people my age, they do things that feel like old folks things - that I don't like. Maybe I have a few more years to go before I mellow out some more. But then I'll be OLD!! As far as a relationship, it's harder when you are older. I'm pretty independent because my dad left when I was 12 and my Momd didn't remarry until after I did. So, even if it was difficult, my sister, my Mom and I got it done.. Some guys tell me that they don't know how to take me because of that. So I'm up against that curve too. But, I was also taught that women don't go places alone and all that old fashioned garbage. So I guess I'm not used to getting out so I can meet someone. I'm used to someting so much different - hard to meet someone when you are independent and have old-fashioned values. Plus, the older guys just don't seem to want much - they are just happy with good company. I guess that's the romance that you get when you are older, but it would be nice to have someone wink an eye at you every once in a while too. Oh well - I'll get use to this age at some point.
    ...See More

Older women and perfume - and I'm moving

Q

Comments (31)
    Lori, so sorry about the vertigo. I hope some of the advice here helps. I also am sensitive to scents. It tends to go in cycles, getting worse when my immune system is on high alert (meaning my sensitivity ramps up and shortly thereafter I get sick with a cold or flu). When it's bad, it seems like everyone is wearing cologne, even though I know that I'm probably just smelling the same soap or lotion or shampoo that they use every day. I once found myself following a woman on the sidewalk who I could smell from half a block away. It usually shows up as either post-nasal drip (and the subsequent throat-clearing and coughing) or as lightheadedness and an inability to concentrate, depending on the particular chemicals in the scent (I think). For me, it started in graduate school with powder fresh deodorant (my own). After I fainted a couple times in shops like Bath and Body Works, I learned to avoid them. I buy unscented products when I can get them and check the scent of other products (like shampoo) before I buy them. I'm pretty proactive about telling folks who I can't avoid (office mates, other members of my choir) that I have a problem with their lotion (or whatever) and they have been very good about cooperating. It's the strangers or folks I see only occasionally where I get into trouble (and don't feel okay bringing it up). Banning perfumes is on my "queen for a day" list (along with reforming social security and the US income tax system).
    ...See More

Shades; I'm so sad for you about the dog

Q

Comments (15)
    That sounds like a plan, Chris. The only problem would be if the hollyhocks had any kind of fungus or other disease. I am supposed to be getting rid of yard work. Last year I had a consult ("won" it at a charity event) with a landscape designer. I told her about my limitations, and about what I wanted to do with the yard, to make the side part of the back yard pretty. She said to leave it as it is! She suggested cutting back the hedge between the backyard and the sidewalk on the side street, to let it grow back fuller. She suggested we replace a couple of panels of deteriorating privacy fence at the end of the patio with some dwarf lilacs. I wanted a large evergreen and some bushes in a nice configuration there. She was sticking too much to my "can't do much yard work" and not giving me anything nice for the yard to look improved. It really was a waste of a consult, but the charity was a good cause. We are a typical city corner lot. The house is a square ranch-style house. The back yard is surrounded by trees and hedges. Your hollyhocks will go in a bed near where the side hedge and back hedge meet and along the inside of the side hedge where they will have afternoon sun. There is only a chain link fence between us and the side neighbor. They are a nice couple with adult kids. He speaks a bit of English, she none at all. I think they are Romanian. Nice, family-oriented, quiet people. They have beautiful front flower beds that are tended perfectly. It makes me feel guilty because my front bed is weedy, and messy by design! Our neighbors behind us speak English, but we never see them. Their garage wall faces our back yard and there is a tall wall-o-privet between us. So for a city lot, we have very good privacy. I will miss the height of our side hedge, but the city ordinance says it should only be 4 ft high, and they could come by at any time and tell us to cut it. It is scraggly and see-through at the bottom, anyhow. I am making plans with a guy from Craigslist to come help me do the trimming of the backyard hedges. I will be mostly supervising.
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    8 years ago

Aging has its drawbacks (but most are better than the alternative, not aging due to being deceased:)

I can't do as much, hear as much, see as much, afford as much.

However, there are advantages:

People offer to help me get purchases to my car all the time.

I give myself permission to only sporadically go after dust bunnies under the bed and other chores that seem to grow more difficult with age.

AND

I am a grandmother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Granddaughter was born a few days ago and is beautiful!)

• Alisande
    8 years ago

At 72, I'm considered elderly, but I don't think of myself that way. Yes, aging brings changes, and the worst thing, I think, is the knowledge that many of them won't get better. But as Lucille said, aging beats the alternative. I always remember that my mother died just two weeks after her 38th birthday.

Yes, there's a gene for male-pattern baldness, and women can have it. But there are things we can do about some of the common woes of aging. When medical workers tell me I'm lucky because I don't take any meds, I tell them luck has nothing to do with it--at least in my case. My diet is limited, but so far I've dodged the diabetes and heart disease that plagued much of my family.

I used to say, "In my heart I'm 19." But I suppose it's time I upped that to, "In my heart I'm 45."

• woodie
    8 years ago

I have two words for you and they are hair dye. Garnier Nutrisse helps me look like a youngster and I am 66 (LOL if you believe that word "youngster"). I've never been happier and that's the truth. We've become snowbirds in Florida for the winter and the mountains of New York State in the summer and have great friends (our age) in both places. We're active and social (although truly I'm a great couch potato but always have been and I like it). Age is only a number and truly, its a state of mind. Don't dwell on aging, deal with the physical issues but keep yourself occupied with whatever makes you happy. With me, that's a lot of reading and lunches and chats with 'the girls' by the pool in Florida and also with DH, I'm not very physically active but I do try to walk. I have to say that the chats with 'the girls' who are in my age group are the most fun - we compare notes about aging and laugh at ourselves a lot. Life is good. Good luck with this chapter and enjoy yourself.

• socks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My nails stopped splitting and breaking when I stopped wearing polish. I just keep them plain now. Good for you, keeping up with that dental work. It's not fun or inexpensive, but so worth it. I'd love to be 62 again, so enjoy it.

I color my hair but detest the time and expense. I tried to let it go natural, and I looked just awful. A friend and DH told me. If you are doing ok, Vicsgirl, without coloring, I would not recommend starting it.

I don't feel my age, although I look it. I do yoga which keeps me flexible so I can crawl around on the floor with the grandkids and keep up with them at the park, do gardening, housework.

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

I turned 61 this year. At 40, my ex thought my greying hair was awful, and I tried his grecian formula. Broke out all around my eyes, nose, mouth and all around my whole face. After a few shots all went back to normal, and I decided to love my grey hair to spite the ex. LOL, it's still grey, and he is out of my life, and life is GREAT.

I have my aches and pains, but overall a good outlook on life keeps me happy.

Today is the first time in over two weeks I will go out and revel in a bike ride. Long overdue, but being sick kept me off the bike, and home from work.

I am so looking forward to spending my summer with my grand daughter!!!! I can hardly wait.

Find the bright spots in your life, and concentrate on them.

Moni

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I have had dry skin always. But, in the last few years I found that when I got manicures, my nails starting splitting. I don't know if it's just at the salon, but I now only polish when I am going to a special event.

I'm with Socks in that I resent coloring my hair. But, I would be salt and pepper, not attractive on most women. (Moni being an exception to the rule) My hair stylist feels that you can look good with gray or white, but you just look older.

I now see I have to be more careful. I took a new yoga class and the instructor did not demonstrate, just verbally explained the poses. I called him over and said that I was new to his class (not to yoga, although I haven't taken a class in years) and wanted to know in what direction I should be looking. In stead of answering my question he said, "just do what you can, you won't get injured, as you come more blah, blah, blah." I felt a twinge on my side the next day, but then a few days after that I listed a heavy garbage bag, I saw stars! I had to recuperate for three weeks taking ibuprofen off and on. Just a few years ago, this was never an issue.

THings take longer to heal. I now want to be mindful of this and take precautions.

Not sure if i feel my age, but I do feel older!

Asilasande, old age is 90! so, you have quite a few years to go.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Coconut oil, available now in grocery stores, will help your nails. Message it into hands, cuticles, and nails twice a day and in a few weeks the difference will be noticeable.

It's a great face and neck treatment, too. Feels greasy for a few minutes, but soon disappears.

• nicole___
    8 years ago

I started going grey at age 28. lol Been dying my hair ever since. I use a fine emery board to sand the tops of my nails, then apply a clear coat of polish, pink for a pedi. I run 5.5 miles a day 5x a week, but since ripping my knee last year I don't go very fast, I'm working up to it.

Since I'm older, I'm partially retired, I have more free time. Now there's the internet, I have time to watch a video on how to repair something and do it myself. Instead of buying a fried apple fritter for breakfast I have time to poach a couple of eggs for a healthier way of eating.....

I wish everything looked the way it did 30 years ago, but ......lol

• Georgysmom
    8 years ago

Glad to hear you're not old until you're 90. I am not elderly anymore!!

• janey_alabama
    8 years ago

Rhizo, thanks for the coconut oil tip. We get it at Wal-Mart & give it to our dog for her skin. Will try it on my nails.

I started turning grey at 24 when I was married to my ex-husband.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

I didn't mind being in the fiftie or sixties but when I hit the big 70, I'll have to admit .....I didn't like it!! I am 72 now and feel pretty good with no major ailments , but oh to back in the fifties again! I color my hair also & would hate to see how much grey I have if I didn't and it still says "brown hair" on my drivers license! :-)

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

Well I'm just plain old! Need a complete overhall! I don't color my hair, but have been pondering doing so lately. To keep my hair from thinning I massage coconut oil into my scalp...works great. Has stopped the hair loss and my hair is nice and healthy. Use it on your nails too.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    8 years ago

I got my first white hair when I was 21. I frosted it for years to disguise the amount of white hair till I was finally too busy to spend that much time or money on it. When I got a short haircut to eliminate all the frosting, I was amazed that it still looked frosted, but it was natural. By my late 40s, I had white hair. I like the look now that it is white, but it does age me too.

I was born a few months before Pearl Harbor, so I don't remember the war or the Depression. Nevertheless, I do enjoy playing "Do you remember when..." with my siblings.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Like Sheilajoyce, I'm also a few months pre-war. I didn't live through the Great Depression, but since my folks did, I was taught to 'live well below your means' and 'save for a rainy day'. I didn't think much about that until I was middle aged. I changed. Now DH and I live AT our means -- without tapping the rainy day savings, but also not compulsively adding to them.

I color my hair (light brown). I will try the coconut oil for my nails -- they don't break too much, but are ridged. Yesterday I couldn't remember our dentist's surname; I had his given name and the first letter of his surname, but I could NOT dredge up the whole name! Today...no problem. There has to be some 'slippage' inside my head.

• socks
    8 years ago

When I look at my hands and arms, I feel like they belong to someone else (like my mother). They look so old. When my face is relaxed, I look like I'm scowling. I'm grateful, so grateful, that I'm still moving around well and mentally clear.

• pekemom
    8 years ago

I'm 68, have the thinning hair now, natural blonde starting to go naturally grey. My daughter says she will tell me when I need to start coloring my hair...she told me when grandma stopped dying her hair she looked much older. My oily skin is still oily! I take eye vitamin pills for my dry macular degeneration. Although I'm overweight my hands look like two old claws. I find it funny that my 3 children are in their 40's.

Arthritis is making my fingers curve, also take HBP meds...

Our 90 year old neighbor calls us "kids"...at this age not many people do..

As was already said, I'm thankful to be alive.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

May a male enter this? Good!
    The missus' hair was a mess, she went to the joint to get it done every 7 or 8 weeks. Then it was 6 or 7 weeks; and then 5 weeks! She quit all that, after my many comments about how grey hair on some women looked striking.
    And, she was losing her hair. As a health care professional, no one was gonna tell her what to do. However, a simple lab draw showed that she had a thyroid problem. OK, that got fixed and now the hair is not falling out all over the place.
    And, for me, I have arthritis of the right jaw. That extends the pain into the ear area and it hurts, unless I don't chew anything. I have modified my diet to be more of a mechanical soft (no apples, but bananas are acceptable). I have tears in both rotator cuffs; it hurts to push the lawn mower.
    Interestingly my hair loss is not that big a deal. I have three adult sons (oldest is 41) and they all have less hair than I do! However, that hair from the top of my head has moved to my ears! Good grief, I thought about rubbing "Nair" on, but figured that would cause more problems.

Some times, my only comment in the morning is, "Getting old sux!"

• glenda_al
    8 years ago

• Georgysmom
    8 years ago

Jim, if you feel like an apple, nuke it with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Dr. Oz says there's a lot of truth in that. I know, I know. A lot of people don't like Dr. Oz, but I'm taking a lot less cholesterol medicine and my levels are good. I attribute that to oatmeal and apple and since they are both good food choices, I'm sticking with it.

• monica_pa Grieves
    8 years ago

I'll be 70 in a couple of months....when the grey hairs came in about 15 year ago, I told my hairdresser, "time for light blonde"...my mother always said that, as you age, your skin tone darkens...and an ash blond is better. As to other aging things...between age and galloping arthritis, I often look at my hands....they are my grandmother's hands...thin, and the fingers go every which way.
    But, as I cuss these wayward fingers....they still work, and I make the best of them by getting bi-weekly manicures- French tips. They detract from the deformity.

• vicsgirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

To answer questions above, yes I am taking an antibiotic for my infected gums. And my Thyroid was over-active. I had it removed last August and I am taking Thyroid Replacement "Synthroid". The docs check my thyroid level every three months, my most recent lab test early May was good, the next blood test is scheduled for August. So as far as I know there's nothing further I can do to improve my health. My daughter suggested taking a supplement called biotin. I'll discuss this the next time I see my Endocrinologist. I was at the car wash last week and got $5 off. The guy just looked at me and said "You get the senior discount". And I can get in the State Parks free- being in Long Island there are 2 NY State Parks close by. I first noticed I was aging (or decaying) about the time I turned 40. My perfect vision was suddenly gone and I needed glasses for driving and distance. I put on weight that didn't come off easily. Things like that. Oh, and I've been coloring my hair on and off since I was 16. Right now it's basic brown with those "silver highlights". I'm considering all-over color or some professional highlights to cheer myself up.

• Pieonear
    8 years ago
    I have some grey, but keep my hair colored because it gives it so much more body. It is a pain though.
  • arkansas girl
    8 years ago

Right now, I'm just feeling happy to be alive after hearing of the death of a friend that is two years younger than I am, she never made it past 50! So my few little aches and pains are looking pretty good to me, don't care for the alternative! I just hope that I don't ever have to battle cancer like she did! I would not wish that on anyone! :(

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I'm 62 and still doing pretty well - I trail run 3 days a week (between 5-7 miles) and go to a strength gym 3 days a week. Going to a strength gym with a trainer and small classes was the best thing I ever did for myself. Lots of core work, balance work, stretching, quick foot work has allowed me to do garden work, house chores, running, etc all without hurting.

The hair thing - oh I've been colouring my hair since I was 30 and have no plans to stop. I only have to do highlights about 4 times a year so that's not bad and my colourist changes the colour depending on the season and my skin tones.

So far no meds. My big fear is watching my friends get infirmed. A good friend died 6 weeks ago of cancer, he was my age and only had 4 weeks notice that he was even sick. Four weeks from diagnosis to dying - so sad.

What I do find is that time flies by so fast. I swear I just turned 50 and here I am 62. Before I know it I will be 72 and on it goes.

My mom and my MIL are both 86 and I had often wondered which would I rather have happen - have my mind start to deteriorate or my body. Well, my mom has early stages of dementia but is very physically fit and my MIL needs a walker, get barely get around but still has most of her marbles. I'd rather have my body fail me than my mind is what I have decided.

• linda_in_iowa
    8 years ago

I just turned 73 and I quit coloring my hair 3 years ago. My hair stylist admits it looks really good on me. People still think I am in my early 60s and are surprised when they find out my age. When I take precious Finn to the park, he insists that I go down the slides so I do. I like to swing and chase after him. He is 4 1/2 and he wears me out but I have so much fun with him. I swim in the summer and try to do more walking. I love being retired and I am so happy to live in Iowa, out of the California rat race. My son and I are planning a weekend tent camping trip at one of the state parks here. Next year, I would like to buy a tent trailer. I really enjoyed having one many years ago.

• Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

I'm 52, going on 53 this year and today I feel about 80. I had to do my Advanced Life Support training and Basic Life Support Training last Wednesday and am still sore from trying to save that stupid dummy. Had to keep doing it over again for BLS because I wasn't pushing hard enough. I was so tired and sore when I finally finished. Still have sore abs, chest, arm and back muscles. Then this evening before change of shift I was helping clean up a patient who vomited all over himself and the bed, was putting on the bottom fitted sheet and something popped in my left arm/chest and had a sharp pain. Had to stop, luckily his nurse had come in by then and helped the CNA finish making the bed. Got home and took a Flexeril.

I have flat feet that according to the ortho doc is causing my pain in the tops of both feet, so now I'm wearing inserts in my shoes. (Still have the pain just not as bad) Have arthritis in the knees and hands. Probably in my back too. I'm looking soon for a new job. Going to work on my resume this week while I'm off. I need a desk job, not on a busy med-surg floor.

If I weren't so exhausted on my days off I'd start walking or hiking again. I probably need to do some weight lifting to help my upper body strength too...but who feels like doing that?

• Sue_va
    8 years ago

Here I am, walking in Seniorgal's shadow. In 3 weeks I will be 91. I told my doctor that 90 never seemed old to me, but 91 really does!! My hair is grey, but I happen to like grey hair on anyone. When I meet someone for the first time and age comes up, they all most invariably say that I don't look my age. Okay, but I surely do feel every year, month, day of it! I am grateful to be alive; there are so many fantastic things going in the world, and I'm glad to be a part of it.
    And if I may, I would like to share this with you. You may have seen it before, because it is OLD.

92 CANDLES
    Today dear Lord I'm 92
    and so much more to see
    I hope dear Lord you let me live until I'm 93.
    But then dear Lord if I haven't finished
    all that I want and more,
    would you let me stay awhile until I'm 94?
    So many places I want to go
    and if I'm still alive
    Do you think you could manage to make it 95?
    The world is changing very fast
    There are things I would like to fix.
    I would like very much to live
    until I'm 96.
    And if by then I'm not in heaven
    I'd like to stay until I'm 97.
    l know by then I won't be fast
    and sometimes a little late
    But it would be pleasant to be
    around at 98.
    I will have seen so many things
    and the pleasure has been mine.
    But you know I'll still have a
    lot of life left in me even when I'm 99.
    And dear Lord remember me
    even though I have blundered
    Please, one more request
    Let's make it an even 100.
    (Author Unknown)
    Sue

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

To vicsgirl:

So you are only 62 - young sprout! There's more aging to look forward to. I know from experience; I'm 78. I was fairly spry up to age 76, and then stuff broke loose. I do yet have a full head of hair, thanks to inheritance from Dad. When dry, it is white and turns very light brown when wet. This indicates there is still color, but buried in the central part of the hair shafts. The outer shell of the hair shafts have faded. I have some health left thanks to high maintenance at the doctor's office; I feel like an old car that needs it fenders welded and joints lubed on a regular basis.

The hardest part of passing age 77: the statisticians were correct; They stated that the average life span for males of my age group is 77. That means half of that group will be dead by that time (when the group is large enough). Dang, they were correct. Over the past 5 years, enough members of my family, friends, and classmates have passed to leave about 50%. It is getting more lonely. So what do we old codgers do? We turn to forums like this one to maintain contact with society and bolster our sanity.

Take each day, one at a time, my friend. Each day that you are vertical is a gift. Savor it and use it wisely. Be thankful.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

kathsgrdn - "...am still sore from trying to save that stupid dummy." That's funny but all us dummies appreciate your efforts. :)
    Seniorgal and Sue_va - you guys are my with-it internet role models.

• prairie_rose
    8 years ago

I am 59 years and have started to feel my age for a couple of years now. I started greying in my late teens, quit coloring my hair about 10 years ago. I quite like the salt and pepper look.

After years and years of working outside for most of my life, the wrinkles and sun damage are starting to show. I am losing my hearing in my left ear, and I have been wearing bifocals for awhile now. Arthritis is setting in my hands and knees, and it takes a little longer to get the old joints loosened up in the morning. And I could stand to lose about 10 lbs.

Things I used to do and take for granted that I thought I would always be able to do, now take a little longer. I have to stand the horse next to the rail fence or stand on a crate to get up in the saddle. In fact, I prefer to skip saddling up now that I have a side by side, and like to use it to work cows instead. I can't jump the fence anymore, but have to climb over it.

The up side is I can still pack chop buckets everyday, 100lb sacks of mineral and salt blocks still don't pose a problem, and I can still grab a wet calf and get in the truck before his momma takes a run at me. Other than a few aches and pains, I am in pretty good health. Watching what DH has to contend with everyday, I rarely complain about my aches and pains. He never complains, and I know he is a hurting unit. I figure as long as I can get up and get going everyday, life is good. Take each day as it comes and find the joy in it.

• grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

I am 74. I have the gray hair and the sometimes split nails. When did my red hair turn another color? I have the young mirror. I don't see that old lady when I look into my mirror. lol Many days I feel like that old lady who is lurking there. I ignore her. I also don't like the word elderly. Age is just a number my aunt, she was 90, told me once when I was complaining to her. Just reverse your age and see if you feel any different. So today I am 47. Feeling much better today even though it is going to be raining. Maybe i will go play in it with my grand children who are getting older. Nothing like playing in rain puddles.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

I was looking at some photos yesterday and found pictures from my sister's 40th birthday, like she was SO OLD. HAHA! I swear she looked like a teenager in the photos! We thought we were SO OLD! GAH!

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

My hair never turned gray but I do highlight it. I'm 76 now and still can't believe it lol. I've had more than my share of pain and disease in my life but now, at this point, I feel pretty good. I take thyroid, lisinapril and crestor mainly because I have stage 3 kidney disease. I've always had high energy but now it's sapping a bit. I'm not complaining, I do more than most my age. Yesterday I drove home from Maine in a torrential rain storm, five hours of it. Of course today I ache like crazy but it will pass.
    The part I dislike the most about aging is when I can't think of a word or a name of a person etc. I know it's normal but it's frustrating. On the plus side, I can still take a bath, so many that I know can't at this age. I can't still run a little way and dance like crazy. I used to sing well but now I have spontaneous dysphonia which causes my voice to disappear now and then and, most days, I sound like Joan Rivers. She had it also. I do miss my old voice but what the heck.
    People say I look great for my age but I have great fear of accidentally hitting the Image capture on my Mac. It happened one night while I was on the computer and my head bent forward. All of a sudden this horrible looking person was staring at me in a black and white form. It took a few seconds to realize it was ME!!!!!!!!!! Granted I had no make up on and had just washed my hair but yowsa, that was frightening, lol.

• teddybear_2009
    8 years ago

I will be 82 in Sept. its a big job trying to stay with it! I still drive, and went in the Cancer relay , had to let them take me on a golf cart this time, due to a leg problem, getting some dental work done etc. got to keep the old body going a bit yet,lots of aches and pains but try to carry on and enjoy my friends and organizations I belong to. Got to go now and bake a couple of cakes for a bake sale. Keep on trucking and keep your sense of humor, old people are very funny and do a lot of crazy things.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I started getting gray when I was in my late 20's. I dyed it once when I was about 40 but it was too much trouble to keep up with...plus, it is very white around my face so the roots show quickly. I don't like gray hair...and I am always looking at older women who have dyed hair, and imagining what they would look like with gray hair, and yes, they would look older....but I don't want the upkeep. For the same reason, I like to keep mine cut fairly short. I don't style my hair or blow dry it or anything like that. I wash it and that's it. My hair is very thick and I have strong nails. I cut them off with scissors when they get past my finger tips. My teeth are good....and they had better be....I have full dental implants. Cost a bunch, but so worth it. I will be 69 in October. I have good health....no high blood pressure or cholesterol and take no meds. I do take vitamins and supplements. My doctor prescribed Forteo, a shot to take for osteoporosis, because I am around horses all the time, but I haven't found out the particulars about it yet and getting a pharmacy to order it for me. It is the only one I can take since my dentist says most osteoporosis treatments are very, very hard on your jaw bones...and the bones in your feet.

In my mind, I feel like I am about 12 years old. The only time I don't feel good about my age is when I look in the mirror, but I don't dwell on that. I feel like other people may have to look at me....I don't. And I don't. I put on a little makeup if I go to town and I think that helps a little but around home, I don't do that. I still ride my horse....and take care of a multitude of animals. I am trying to not slow down. I have a lot of things to do and take care of but I am not going to stop.

• linda_6
    8 years ago

I'll be 64 this November. I feel pretty good when I'm sitting. It's when I get up that I feel stiff. LOL. Once I move a little I'm ok. My husband turns 70 this July and he seems pretty good. He just started exercising a few months ago and lost around 15 pounds. He made me feel guilty, so I started back on my threadmill again. I have more energy when we have our grandson over for the weekend, but when he leaves all my energy is gone. I quit dying my hair a few years ago. My hair is black and with the grey it's looks frosted. I get more compliments on it and it feels great not to dye it anymore. When we go shopping, we look at people and say "look how old they are". Then we laugh and look at each other knowing we look the same as they do. Oh well, you're as young as you feel.

• vicsgirl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm sorry for being such a complainer. Thin hair and weak nails are no big deal. I'm still alive and mostly pain-free. I have a bunch of health issues , but I have great doctors I trust. I jump out of bed in the morning and have no pain. And two weeks ago I became the Grandmother of a healthy baby girl. I can't wait to baby-sit, down the line I am determined to be the "fun" grandma. Think she'll care about my infirmities?

Thanks all, for letting me come here and vent.

• teddybear_2009
    8 years ago

Kids don't care about our infirmities, they just want to spend some fun time with them. I told my little great son I was having trouble doing things he did, and he said " Grandma your not getting old, you are just having a problem with your age! Truer words were never spoken.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I didn't think I was that old, but somehow, I got a notice about an retirement community I might be interested in? I mean, my body keeps telling me how old I am, but I haven't even lived three score years yet. So why the mailing? Dunno.

• socks
    8 years ago

vicsgirl, you are not a complainer. It's good to hear others have issues too, yet we carry on as best we can. It's good to be able to carry on, right?!

• pekemom
    8 years ago

I posted earlier but want to add about taking care of your teeth..mine were never good but I go in and get fillings, root canals, even an implant...my husband & I will be going in Thursday for cleanings, we go twice a year...trying to keep ahead of problems...

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

I'm 68. My asthma has gotten worse, and limits my activities. I can't drive after dark.

But I'm more relaxed than I've been in years. I do website tarot readings four days a week, and have a parrot that is a great companion. Otherwise I'm pretty unstructured.

I don't like the age spots on my face, but I guess that's what I get for spending a lot of time in the sun when I was younger.

A couple of years ago I moved to be closer to my daughter. It's very nice just to meet for coffee or lunch without the traveling making it a big deal.

All in all, like is good.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES