SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funcolors

Older women and perfume - and I'm moving

Lori A. Sawaya
8 years ago

I'm moving. Me, the fam, and the land of color to Phoenix.

We bought a condo that we're going to reno and rent. It will give us some time to decide on a neighborhood to buy a house.

So, went to Phoenix last weekend to meet with contractor and choose materials. Both my boys were with me. We stopped at Denny's for brunch. About half way thru, an older couple was seated next to us. I swear as soon as they walked in the door, I could smell her perfume. Within seconds of their approach to the table, I started sneezing uncontrollably as the perfume stench hit me in the face like a brick.

The gross part? I had a bite of Tabasco soaked omelette in my mouth when the sneezing attack happened. Sneezed so hard it came out of my nose. If that wasn't bad enough, I woke up at 3 am to the entire world spinning violently. Nausea and vomiting soon followed. I have a case of extreme vertigo caused by the sneezing attack.

Made it to a doctor, got some meds and was referred to a therapist to do that inner alignment thing they do. But I can't drive. The meds make me sleepy and I'm very clumsy.

I have to pack up and move a household and a business THIS WEEK and I really don't know how I'm going to do it!!! Vertigo can take days to weeks to go away - so they tell me.

All because of some random old lady at a Denny's with a failing olfactory system. Have to be honest, I've had moments when I felt like I could beat the crap out of that stinky old lady. But then I think about her getting all dressed up - doused with perfume - to go out to Denny's with her hubs. It was probably a highlight of their day and then I feel bad. Damn conscience.

I know people who are allergic to fragrances, but I personally have never had a problem until this happened. Have a whole new appreciation for those that suffer such allergies on a regular basis!

Comments (31)