SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

I've got a big problem with ants!

moonie_57 (8 NC)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In April, while my husband was out of town, I went behind his back and put down 2 yards of mulch and plunged all my plumeria down into a thick bed of it. lol He hates mulch because of what he feels will become a bug haven. He was right!

A few days ago, I moved one of the pots and found a huge nest of ants. He said that's why he hates mulch. So he got a can of spray and sprayed them. Didn't do any complaining. So that evening I watered really deep... pots and mulch, hoping that would discourage them.

Now, today I moved several more pots and there were nests under every pot! What will I do? What can I use? Should I use a systemic for the pots and the mulch? Is there a granular for regular ole ants like they have for fire ants? Will those granulars for fire ants work for regular ole ants? And the mulched area reaches over to my vegetable garden. What can I use to not worry about the run-off?

I haven't told my husband yet. First, I want to make sure to have a plan of attack. This is so disheartening! To go behind his back and now have such a problem like this! I wanted the mulch to help keep my pots steady in the wind, plus to keep down weeds so that I don't have to move them all the time and weedeat. Now, my pots are full of weeds as well as ants! Argh!

Many people say that ants aren't a problem, overmuch, but I disagree! They love to farm aphids and they nest in pots, ruining the soil. You just wouldn't have believed the amount of ants that I saw today. Wish I had gotten a photo!

Help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths