SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

I've Got Sulphur Eggs!

susanlynne48
13 years ago

Don't ask me which one. Yes, I saw/watched her lay eggs on my Senna hebecarpa, saw her nectaring on the dandelions but I'm having a hard time deciding if it is a large Sleepy Orange, the size of a Cloudless Sulphur, a Cloudless Sulphur with some orange coloration on the outer wings and a black bar on the edges of the upper wings (least likely), or an Orange Barred Sulphur! Now, I have yet to see an Orange Barred Sulphur here, but there's always a first time. These are the only butterflies that I know of here that use Sennas as a host plant. My Senna is not up very tall yet either, but I'm sure there's enough food for these cats.

She was a lemony yellow with orange shading on the outer wings. Of course, good luck ever seeing the upper wings of a sulphur. I could see thru the wings enough to note the black edge on the upper wings. She would probably have about a 2.5" wing spread or a bit larger. That's what leads me to think it is NOT a Sleepy Orange. On the other hand, I have not seen a Cloudless with the orange shade or the black bar. If this is actually a Orange Barred Sulphur, it will be quite the find for me.

Guess I'll have to wait and see when the eggs hatch.

I don't like cutting the S. hebecarpa because it does not stay fresh for long at all. I do have some florist foam now to use so I may try a few eggs that way. Otherwise, I am afraid the wasp patrol, the ants, or other predacious creepies will consume the eggs or tiny hatchlings.

So, what do you guys think?

Susan

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting