SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

I've got Monarch cats! (I think)

docmom_gw
14 years ago

I finally saw a Monarch hanging around my yard. It flew around and around and then settled down behind some taller plants so I couldn't see what it was doing. If I walked anywhere close it would fly away, but would come right back. Finally, I couldn't stand it any more. I knew there were A. tuberosa growing where it was settling and I just had to check for eggs. Well, I didn't find eggs, but I found two first instar cats! They are tiny and dark, and don't look like later instars, but I found the first one climbing up the tuberosa. The second one I found after I'd gone inside, when I reached up to scratch my arm. Fortunately, I saw it before I scratched. I went right back out and got some more tuberosa leaves for it.

So, I finally have some cats to raise. I've really been hoping to get some eggs to start fresh, but I must have really bad eyes. I've been searching milkweeds for three years and I've yet to identify a single egg. Is there some trick to finding them? I try to look at the underside of the leaves, and I look at the newer growth, but no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Martha

Comment (1)

Sponsored