SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

By Jove, I think I've GOT it!: Describing the late summer garden

arbo_retum
14 years ago

All month, I have been trying to come up w/ the right phrase to describe the jungle outside. I have gone through this same brain tease in September -for all the 22 yrs. we have created these gardens. I have heard other gardeners use the words rangy, weedy, scruffy, messy, overgrown, gangly(all the result this year of our amazingly wet June and our month of sun and heat in August.)

The wonderfully talented plantswoman, Pam Frost (who found in her garden, and introduced, the variegated sedum 'Pacific Frost' )uses the word 'blousy'. It's an English expression and Pam is English, though she lives and has created her great garden in Vancouver. I like that word, blousy, but I have come to think it too refined an expression for what I experience in my garden. I want an American expression, one that expresses the bold, adventurous, crowded, imperfect American garden (vs. the British refined tradition of immaculate borders etc.)

Lately when I've been out working in the garden, my welcoming warning has been "It's pretty Up- Close and Personal out here" but today, as I greeted a batch of afternoon visitors to our Cotton-Arbo retum, the right expression finally just tumbled forth : "It's pretty Wild and Woolly out here now!" , somewhat like the American West of old- grown out of bounds and a bit out of control. And now we are the self appointed marshalls, so with snippees in hand, and Y stakes in tow, we do our best to reign things in and encourage the sloppy drunks to stand up (more) straight .

So welcome to the Wild and Woolly season in the Cotton-Arbo retum. Fuller, wider, taller!

best,

Mindy

cottonarboretum@blogspot.com

Comments (14)