SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ra_ca

mildew resistant purple(?) Crape myrtle for San Jose area

ra_ca
8 years ago

We are trying to decide on a variety of Crape myrtle for our new street tree. I think (?) purple flowers will go best with our house colors and concrete color, and with the rest of the plants in the yard (see attached photos and rendering of new plan), so I was looking into purple Crape myrtles. The two varieties whose colors I like the best from the pics I've seen are the Catawba and Powhatan varieties. However, these two types are designated as "Good" rather than "Very Good" or "High" for mildew resistance. Does anybody in the SF Bay Area, particularly the South Bay, have experience with either of these two varieties? In our climate is "Good" mildew resistance sufficient to keep these trees healthy?

This Crape myrtle will be the new street tree in our soon-to-be relandscaped front yard. The yard faces almost due south. In our back yard, facing north, we battle mildew continuously on our Nandina plants and on a Crape myrtle 'Acoma' back there. (So much for the 'High' mildew resistance attributed to 'Acoma'.) OTOH, our Crape myrtle 'Tuscarora' and 'Sioux' trees in the back yard seem to be very mildew resistant - I have never seen mildew on either of those.

Thanks for any inputs!

Comments (22)