SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jp_caudill

Crape Myrtle Purchase Advice

JP Caudill
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,
I am looking to purchase three Crape Myrtle trees that will be planted in a grassy area between a sidewalk and street. What I'm ultimately looking for is something that will have a nice single trunk, grows fairly upright and stays somewhat compact or at least doesn't weep too extremely at the canopy, and will grow pretty fast. And also I'm looking for something that has a nice deep purple, or pink to dark pink/fuscia kind of color with a great bark and decent trunk size. It seems like all the varieties I like the most (for example Twilight or Powhatan) can get very tall. I probably wouldn't want them getting any higher than around 16' because I fear they will look out of place.
I'm told you really can control the height and shape of most upright Crape Myrtle trees pretty easily but I could definitely use some advice on how true this is and if there are other varieties I should look into. My has a lot of new construction - mostly duplex style houses with vinyl siding and all pretty close to each other. My goals in planting these is to break up the vinyl monotony and also shield myself from it a bit. I'd rather look out my window and see a few nice trees!
Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)