SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilyse_smith

need remodel advice on very small u-shaped kitchen

Ilyse Smith
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm going to remodel my 1970's kitchen. I have a U-shape work area and there is no room for a peninsula or island. I am limited on space for cabinets. I had a few KDs draw up plans, and it seems that I basically have a choice - trash pull out or more drawers. With the trash pull out, I would only have one 30" 3 drawer slot for storing pots and pans next to the stove, a lazy susan and another 27" 3 drawer for cutlery, dishtowels, etc. I can use the top drawer of the trash pull out for foils, etc., but no junk drawer. Ugh. If you had to choose would it be forget the trash pull out and get the 4 drawers??

Comments (104)

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

nice! Could work!!

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

What's beyond the red line?

• Related Discussions

Small kitchen remodel advice needed

Q

Comments (16)
    Palimpsest, I do not have a floorplan of the L-config from our designer, unfortunately. I talked it over with the hubby tonight and although we like the idea of the L-, we are ultimately against it for a couple of reasons: 1) We have a big family (6) including 4 boys who will be teenagers before we know it. We really feel like we want as much pantry space as possible for stocking bulk discount items, especially cereal, juice, spaghetti sauce, and the like, which will be stored no problem in the pantry area of the first design. We measured it, and it may offer up to 84 ft of linear space, 10-12" wide. We just don't have any other area on the first floor that would accommodate that much food. I don't think the pantry space offered in the L-config is nearly comparable. 2) We really liked the idea of the peninsula for socialization between the cook and the folks in the dining room, since the area doesn't accommodate an island. Also, in the L-config, nothing is "built-in" so it might feel like a cluttered area. Maybe I should follow up with the designer and seek another configuration which would lend itself to more pantry space, but it's tricky. 3) Given how much space we're gaining in the pantry for storage, we're thinking we *may* be able to get away with a scenario where we could remove the wall/above-counter cabinetry to the left of the sink in the original design so we could create a more open feel to the back den. People might even be able to sit at the left corner of that counter, but there is a doorway to the den there from the dining room, which may shorten the length we could otherwise run it. I don't know if the symmetry problem that causes is a big deal or not? We are hoping that since there is another pathway through the house from the stairs/dining room to the living room (via the far side of the dining room), if I need to I *can* tell the kids to stay out of the kitchen. We are a little worried though that when someone comes in from the garage or the living room, there is some close proximity to a potentially hot stove. But our current stove is right next to the dining room/kitchen doorway with no counter buffer and we've worked it out. Thanks everyone for all feedback so far!! This is really wonderful.
    ...See More

Small U-shaped kitchen

Q

Comments (20)
    angelcute, share some pictures with us and let's see what you have to work with. The kitchen in my picture is new primarily because the original kitchen had a dysfunctional layout and the cabinets were not that great to begin with. The house was built in 1967 and little had changed in 40 years. This was the home of elderly relative and the goal was to sell the house quickly. That kitchen was just 95" wide and 9' long. In my kitchen I am keeping the cabinets and updating where needed because the layout was fine and the cabinets only need refinishing. With a few other changes like new counters, I'll have the kitchen that works for me. Old can be good, just look at how we love the kitchen in It's Complicated and other vintage kitchens we see. I'm sure we can give you some ideas too.
    ...See More

Small U-shape Kitchen Remodel

Q

Comments (10)
    Even though you have no window on the short wall, I think you should consider tamy's and BB's suggestions for a galley, eliminating the blind corners. Here's a plan to get you started: You have a drop zone for groceries, then prep zone. I put the pantry and ovens at the end, where they are out of the work zones. If the MW/combo opens right-to-left, the ovens and pantry can be switched. Dishes and flatware can be stored in the drawers on the end, with utensils in the drawers beside the cooktop. (I forgot about the wine cooler--dishes could be in the drawers beside the trash pullout, with the wine cooler on the end.) In a small kitchen you need all the storage possible, but having open shelves where the 24" uppers are drawn would keep the kitchen open give it a more spacious feel. Are you planning inset cabinets? If you have inset drawers you can use a 1" overhang, instead of 1.5", adding that extra inch to the aisle. Good luck!
    ...See More

Layout Help for Small U-Shaped Kitchen

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes you're right, it's everyone's favorite room (guests included). Spinning my wheels again and wondering if a peninsula will be best. Do either of these layouts seem like they'd work. The program was a little glitchy and kept moving the garage door and doing something strange with corner but... 1.) Drop in range on the peninsula with a recessed vent. I know people don't like the idea of a cooking surface in island or peninsular, but being that I have one now it has never been an issue. Plus we will probably be going the induction route. 2.) Drop-in on the garage wall with range vent hood. Basically everything else is that same. For both options we'd have to go the semi-custom route especially with the garage door corner.
    ...See More
  • huango
    8 years ago

1. Sorry for skimming, but did anyone bring up making the sink 30" base cabinet, and putting the 15" trash under the sink?

example of trash under sink

I have my 18" trash under my 36" sink base cab. works great for my kitchen.

2. ditto the suggestion above to dead-corner at least one of the corners, to put in much more usable base drawers.

I have 2 corners in my kitchen and am so grateful for dead-cornering one to get an additional 3-drawer base cabinet. I use this drawer so much more than my blind corner.

Amanda

Ilyse Smith thanked huango
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

18" DW? (granted less choices, but I wish I did that)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I think you might have missed my questions from earlier.

why do you not want to move things around if it would add storage and make your space more efficient? I see you answered this, but can you find out what it might cost to move them?

Do you have a separate dining room and where is it?

would you consider opening the wall between kitchen and living room?

is this your only eating area and if not would you consider giving up the table in here for maybe a counter height dining bar area?

Sorry I couldn't get to it today but I have to get a drawing for a show finished and then my builder wanted me to finalize a few things today.

Also there are other solutions other than just a super susan which opens up more cabinet space.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

this is what I have in my blind corner and it works great. I have my oversized cuisenart on it and a large can opener and some seldom used items. What's great about this is it leaves one side to put a regular cabinet in. You use it with an 42" corner base.

Rev a Shelf

Ilyse Smith thanked cpartist
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I like both of Mama Goose's plans. If it were my kitchen, I'd try to do what's possible to have the first plan with that long, luscious expanse of counter to work on. And in front of a window to boot. Plumbing costs may be reasonable to just change the location a few feet. Especially if you have a crawl space or basement underneath. I would definitely get an estimate before you nix moving appliances.

I would love to hear the answers to cpartist's questions. I would also like to see a floor plan of the entire floor the kitchen is on. There might be other good options but we need more info.

Ilyse Smith thanked funkycamper
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My dimensions are further up in the posts where I freehanded the drawing - I am reluctant to move the appliances because I like the window over the sink, I do not want to look in from my rather formal living room, dining area to see the refrigerator - right now you see the cabinets and butcher block cart - aesthetically it would bother me to see the refrigerator (I know, I did not explain this!). The only move will be moving the stove down a few feet to the right, as we currently have no counter space AT ALL to the right of the stove top. I am thinking now: I may have to forego the idea of the pantry, since everything will be moved down and it might look odd to have a long row of counters and then one pantry (as opposed to us having two pieces of high cabinets with the built in oven). I love the idea of a larger sink base and putting the roll out trash in there! Making headway here.
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Would you be able and willing to move the doorway to the living room toward the patio door/ across from the laundry door? Are you interested in losing room for a table to counter seating for 2-3 to gain ~ 5 more feet of linear wall space on the perimeter?

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have thought about moving the door over for morel wall space - I love having my kitchen table though. I just worry about big architectural changes, seen so many done without professional architects and they never look exactly "right".
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Thanks,fc, that's what I was thinking--prepping in front of the window.

Ilyse, I used a couple of above suggestions for this plan, with your sink in original location, and as little 'shake-up' as possible. The left side is a 42" corner unit, with 2" filler, DW, then 36" sink base, which almost centers it on the window. You can put a trash pullout in the 12" cabinet, or have trash under the sink, and have another pullout in the 12" cab (for spices, oils, cooking utensils). There's an extra 1.75" on that wall--you'll need filler between the 12" cab and the corner unit. (Or pull the right side cabs out from the wall 1.75".) You could add the 1.75" to the filler beside the DW, but your sink will be more off center. **Another solution, which is a real work-around that I used, and you might consider to maximize storage is: Put .75" filler between the left corner unit and the DW, and route finger pulls in the cabinet door on the left--no hardware sticking out to obstruct DW door. That leaves you 3" to increase the 12" cabinet to 15", but leaves no wiggle room. At all.

I left the super susan in the right corner, with a 36" drawer base--you could do another 42" corner unit, and make the drawer base 30", and the 12 or 15" cabinet on the top wall becomes 24 or 27". I increased the end cabinet to 27".

I've included wall measurements, and in ( ) the actual length of the runs. The fridge has an enclosure--without the enclosure the run is 90". Your kitchen has struck a chord with me because I faced several of the same obstacles. I'm very happy with the result--still love walking into my kitchen every day.

Ilyse Smith thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Ok. I get not wanting to see the fridge from the DR. I felt the same way during my planning. By sharing a drawing of the kitchen and surrounding rooms, people were able to help me identify a place where I could create a niche for it. If I hadn't shared that drawing, my fridge would still be in the kitchen partially blocking a view window. Your drawing doesn't have to be exactly to scale.

I have seen people here improve upon architect and KD designed spaces.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll post pictures later. The pic above (with the butcher block cart and pantry (wall oven) is what you see when you look in from the living room though. The view is kind of pretty.
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How do you all feel about looking at the range from the living room? I like mama goose's plan, except I think maybe move the range where the 36" drawers are and then either two sets of 27" drawers in a row or a pantry somewhere? If I put the pantry where the range is now - so in this order (looking at above picture): susan, range, small base with drawers to right of range for about a foot to 18" of counter space to right of range, pantry, base with drawers next to it for counterspace - serving area near the table? Will the tall pantry look like it's coming out of nowhere - I think the pantry at the end if more pleasing visually, but no counter space (I use the butcher block cart for a bit of counter - see photo above) Ugh. Does this make sense to anyone - sorry it's hard without pics and a CAD program
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Put a door between the living room and kitchen. And note that I'm not including a 'winky/smiley' in this suggestion.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I do have like French doors that we leave open. I just do worry about the visuals. Here is a house like mine - they did counters all the way to the pantry door and one base cabinet on the other side of the pantry door - maybe this is a better visual than looking at a stove or one lone pantry shooting up. I would not be happy about losing the pantry but that counterspace when you come in from the mudroom is valuable.
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I always think that if a home's floorplan is amenable to a way of closing off rooms for those times you might want to separate spaces, it's a good thing to do. Those French doors are lovely. If you can do something like that, go for it. I would either do sliders or, if you use regular swinging French doors, have a floor or ceiling latch so you can close and secure just one door at a time. If you use swinging doors, you will need to consider furniture placement in the dining room to allow for the swing and it will limit what you can place on those short walls. If space is limited, the extra expense for sliders would be very worth it, imho.

If you did the French doors, appliance placement will be less of an issue as you could always hide the range or fridge behind a door when entertaining. If budget is an issue, I would personally go with less expensive finishes in the kitchen in order to get the doors.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I basically have these doors but they are louvered. actually, it looks like this homeowner expanded the door way (I cannot figure out why - less wall space all around!). I have nothing on the walls to right or left when they are open (which is always and that is why I want a pretty view into the kitchen). Anyway, thanks to a lot of great posts on this website I am narrowing down my choices.
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

The last plans that I posted, with the sink in front of the window, would look like the pic you posted of the view through the French doors--cabinets on each side of the laundry/mudroom door. Unless you were standing in the middle of the LR/kit door opening. I would not give up the 4' stretch of prep space between the range and sink, just to hide the range from that one vantage point. Editing to add: You could move the range toward the sink wall 12", and still have 36" of prep space, but the drawers would be only 24" wide. However, you could make up the loss by having wider drawers on the other side. So, maybe keep the dishes in the 24" drawers, and pots and pans in the wider drawers beside the mudroom door.

I love the idea of French doors!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I didn't move the sink. Yes you'll see a bit of the range from the other room but it gives you a nice large run of prep space, a 36" wide pantry and a regular sized refrigerator. Have pullouts in the pantry and you'll be able to have tons in there.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    nice. I may have to go less cabinets and counter on the wall because I want to have my round table and 4 chairs centered. Also, I need a silverware drawer to the right of the refrigerator, but I can work this around and change some of the cabinet sizes. Still debating whether to get a cooktop and build in oven vs. the freestanding range. I know the freestanding range is the fashion now . . . Thanks!!!!!
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

In a small kitchen that needs more counter and storage space, I would suggest a range. Your choice should not be based on fashion but on what is practical for your space. About the only place you have for a separate oven is in your pantry space. You will lose storage and mess up the aesthetics from the DR view.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I wouldn't use any form of the word 'fashion' to describe my range. ;)

Do you always have your table centered in the room, or is it pushed into the corner until you need more seating? I tried a plan with your table drawn as 54" diameter (same size as mine), and m/l centered between the three doors.

From the measurements provided, I think you have 53.5" between the bottom wall and the mudroom door--is that correct? You could have 48" of shallow pantry in that corner, 12" deep, or 18" bases with 12" uppers. The upper cabinets could sit on the counter, or be mounted at standard height so that you can use the counter for serving.

My kids tell me that at my age, I should be doing puzzles to ward off AD, so I also drew a rough elevation, with the corner susan in the top right, then 24" drawer base, then the range, which is now directly across from the fridge, and more hidden from the LR sight line. The last cabinet on the end is a 36" drawer base, but it occurred to me that if you can eke another ½" out of the door trim, you could have a 42" drawer base. I'd go for it, for another 6" of cabinet space, upper and lower, but since the door is seen from the LR, you might not care for the idea. I should have verified before, but were your measurements to the door trim (if doors are trimmed/cased), or to the actual opening? It doesn't matter unless you to decide to go for the 42" cabinets, since there is extra space between the cabinets and the door on each side. On the opposite wall, the drawer base beside the fridge can go from 18" to 15", if there is a conflict. (Each square = 6")

The red lines on the uppers are cabinet widths to be determined by the width of your hood, 30" or 36". On the pantry cabinet, the red line denotes optional separate upper and base.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh my gosh - you are just wonderful - I'm going to digest all of this. I'm thinking of going with a built in oven and stove top (separate) because of my bad back. I was thinking if I shortened some of the drawers (36", etc.) I could still get a pantry in there next to the tall cabinet with the built in single oven (27"). I may do something with a buffet and storage on the other side of the table (backing the the LV) for serving and storing rarely used pots and pans. the measurements are fro the outside of the door moulding and the door measurements are from the inside - duh, maybe not too wise. I'm going to look over all of these plans before I go to the KD tomorrow morning. Thank you so much - hey I don't blame you - if I had the program I would much rather move cabinets around than do crossword puzzles or suduko!!!
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I know - I'm going back and forth. I will say that our current 27" built in oven has bubbled the pain on the cabinet directly above (as we open the door while grilling). While it's no biggy with our old hand painted cabinets, I am worried about the new one - we are leaning toward painted again. Maybe the range with an overhead microwave/convection. My friend says they cook pretty well . . .
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear you have back problems. That is a valid reason for consideration a wall oven. Although I think you should assess how you cook. Most of my cooking is on the cook-top so I don't use my oven daily. If you cook in a similar way, a range may still work for you. Obviously, only you can answer that.

Just a heads-up, OTR (over the range) microwaves (with or without convection) that have a fan in them usually don't work as well as a separate hood for clearing the steam and smoke. They also tend to be a lot noisier. I used to not think this was a big deal until I learned how much cleaner your kitchen and, really, your whole house stays if you use your fan regularly. It makes a big difference to not have greasy-steam floating through your house getting on surfaces and upholstery. If you're like most of us, if it's noisier you won't use the fan as much as you should.

With that said, most of us have to make some compromises with our kitchen design. Especially when dealing with a small space. An OTR micro-convention/fan might end up being the best option for you but it's better to know the pluses and minuses of a decision before you make it, right?

Whatever you do, I hope you'll get a fan that vents to the outside. Recirculating fans really aren't worth much.

Let us know how your KD appointment goes. Best wishes.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you - all very confusing components and you are right about a fan/hood and about compromising. will keep you all posted.
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    lol - this post started out asking about how necessary you all deem a pull out trash!
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

good luck with the KD. I think you have some very good choices. Are you married to your table? It really takes up a lot of room in the kitchen. :)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Oh and if you made the refrigerator a 30" you could put in a 15" wide drawer for silverware.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have a 35" wide refrigerator currently and a nice set of drawers to the right of that - I think at least 15" - yep married to the table idea! Thanks for all the good input.
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I really like MamaGoose's latest plan! It's very nice :)

This is a bit of an off the wall, crazy version of the plan...but you never know what might spark an idea. It does get rid of potentially awkward corner storage...and cuts down a bit on the walking back and forth in the work area.

It puts range between fridge and wall oven/microwave combo, leaving storage on each side of range. Sink, dishwasher and garbage are on an island (more like a peninsula) but not attached to wall, so not up against window.

Also, I took out slider (may not be possible) but gives you more space for a corner banquette with patio door.

Back (left) wall becomes picture wall and room for a plant. It is the Gardenweb, right?

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    OMG my heart cannot handle these kind of changes lavender! I do see the merit of the peninsula - that gives me serving space, I just worry about traffic pattern and loss of the pantry. So here are my thoughts NOW: stand alone (slide in) with microwave on top (possibly microwave/convection combo - if anyone has any info on those - if you can really bake a chicken in them) - gives me room for a 27 to 33" counter and base cabinets to the right of stove and I can have my pantry and a little counter/cabinet for a tv or bowl. Can you envision what I'm saying? It's not exciting like your plans, but I can almost get everything I want - the pantry, the counterspace and storage. Yes, I will keep my configuration about the same (see the actual pic of my cabinets above (look for crème colored cabs and butcher block top. the whole stove will have to be moved over from where it is because I want the supersusan (I think that takes about 11 or 12" and then I don't know how much to the right of stove - I need this for counter - prep and storage underneath (pots and pans). I will have to squeeze in the pantry and the counter. I can't wait to meet with the KD tomorrow and get more confused!
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

I would not do over the range especially if you have a bad back. that is advice actually from my pt person since I suffer with a bad back. How about putting it in the pantry?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I have an antique pedestal table that was given to me by my mother. I've
    had it longer than I've had my children--it would take a lot of
    persuasion for me to consider replacing it. :)

Your back issue is
    definitely a reason to consider a separate cooktop and oven, especially
    since you currently have them. Do you need a 27" oven? This is a quick
    cut & paste of my previous plan, with 24" oven. I
    couldn't bring myself to draw a 30" oven up against the cooktop, but the
    oven cabinet could be increased to 27" or 30", and both 24" drawer bases
    could increase to 27" or 30". The drawers below the
    cooktop are 42", but could be smaller if adjacent drawers increase--just depends on how important the symmetry is
    to you. I'm trying to keep the 36" stretch of prep space, but I have a
    feeling you don't want to see the oven from the LR, so I put a lovely
    baked chicken in there to help you imagine this plan.

I love my trash pullout, and we
    all just want to help you find the best location for yours. There--I think I
    tied that together nicely. ;)

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think I can handle it - I'm going to go to appliance stores and practice. I usually only bake once a week and only for two people. A friend suggested getting a microwave convection above the stove - anyone know if that actually works well for cooking chicken? browning, etc. I usually bake my chicken at about 425 degrees. THAT, if I knew I could do some everyday stuff in the convection/micro - would really ace it, because I have good days and bad with the back! I am just space challenged here.
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    oooh, that is a lovely plan, BUT, BUT - I hate to be a naysayer: I think there are codes I must meet where we would have to have at least 15"? between the stove top and oven. I think this weekend I have to think long and hard about the stooping and if I can get away with the regular oven. I remember my mom used to have trouble with it (and cleaning it!) well I guess you can sit on a chair to clean!
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is the latest plan that I somewhat like:
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

NKBA suggests 12" minimum, but your local code will rule. If it's 12" you can move the cooktop another 6", and make the drawers on the end wider. Haven't thought about symmetry around hood, yet.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    but I need the 27" at least I would think for pots and pans. I think the pantry can be a tad narrower to make that piece on the end a bit more substantial. I guess for symmetrical purposes I should move the stove to the right a bit too. I don't know how narrow the pantry can be without looking strange.
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

This is the best I can think of to balance a 24" oven. Hood area with 12" between cooktop and 24" oven. Add in hardware, and it might be a little too wacky.

With the 24", 30", and 36" drawers, and cabinets above the oven, would you need a pantry on that side? BTW, I drew all your uppers at 42" to maximize storage--what is the ceiling height?

GW search on 24" wall ovens

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I can't come up with better ideas for your space than Mama Goose but I wanted to comment further about the back issue. There was a big discussion about this on a recent thread. It is healthier for our backs to squat, not stoop. In fact, stooping is rather bad for your back. That is if you and I are thinking the same thing when we use the word stoop. Just wanted to throw that out there if it's helpful.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

funkycamper, does that mean we should all be cooking over a campfire? ;)

Ilyse, here's the KD's plan you like, but it has a range. And below it is one that I posted previously, altered to include a wall oven and pantry at the end. If you keep the 36" corner susan, 30" cooktop, 15" cabinet (I wouldn't go narrower for drawers), and 27" wall oven, there are 23.5" left for a pantry. If you do a 24" wall oven, with a 12" cabinet between the cooktop and oven, then there are 29.5" left for a pantry. I don't know the sizes that pantry cabinets are available. With a wall oven, I don't think there's room for a small cabinet with counter at the end.

Adding your measurements. And your current kitchen and your inspiration pic, so that we don't have keep scrolling.

• Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I think you are right, I think I really must do the stove and just squat use the knees a bit. I can go for the convection/microwave above. If I must clean an oven, can sit. Does anyone know if you can bake well in those microwave/convections - like 425 degrees? We're seeing the KD tomorrow morning, maybe I can go over to local appliance store and start looking for ideas.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Enjoy your meeting, and BTW, I always recommend that you don't tell the KD you've been to GW--let him think you came up with all this good stuff on your own. ;)

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Not to throw a wrench in the wall oven or not issue....but I love my wall oven! I'm going to be replacing the cooktop with a range, so we'll have two ovens. Lower oven better for broiling and meats, but wall oven is wonderful for baking :)

Ilyse Smith thanked Lavender Lass
  • Ilyse Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    With my current wall oven - when we broil (and leave door open a tad as instructed) the paint has bubbled. So that's a concern if we buy painted cabinets . . .
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Um I never leave my oven open and have had no problems? Was I supposed to leave it open?

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

My mom always says to leave it open a little. Maybe that's with older ovens?

• blfenton
    8 years ago

For my GE Cafe the oven door is supposed to be kept closed for broiling. I suspect that rule is oven specific and so wouldn't be the same for all.