SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom3boys_fporfl

Small kitchen remodel advice needed

mom3boys_fporfl
11 years ago

Hi,

We currently have a small kitchen (11x12) that is bordered by a formal dining room on one side, a former exterior window opening on another side (there is now an addition of a den with a woodstove), a living room entry on another side, and a garage on the last side. Other than the entry to the dining room and the "window" to the den, which is mostly enclosed by windows other than the garage wall it shares with the kitchen, there is no daylight coming in. So we want to open up the wall between the dining room and the kitchen to get some more natural light in.

The attached file is a bird's eye view of our proposed design. I commented where major entries are, but I hope the rest is self-explanatory. The designer put 3 overheads above the sink but we would probably use recessed lighting instead. What we would like to know is if you experts see any improvements we could make or if there is any problems we should be aware of traffic-wise with this design. The entryway to the dining room should not be a problem with cabinets since our existing all-drawer pantry is in that location now. The plan for the peninsula is to have (perhaps) a very high cabinet with glass doors to store glasses or something attractive rarely used so we can still have some function but not lose too much in the way of natural light. The dining room has a huge picture window along the wall shared by the sink/counterspace, so the light source is no problem.

The designer envisions the small cabinet on the bottom left to be used for cell-phone docking/mail/keys. I think the area above is a chalk-board for messages?

Any comments are welcome, or if I need to post more info to get better feedback let me know. Only problem is that doorways (other than to the dining room) are fixed. The garage doorway is bordered by the installation of a new solar water heating system line, and the living room door entry can't change either, because of the ease of entry into the house from the garage and from the front door, which is directly straight out that entryway 10 feet or so.

Our current layout, which I actually like OK, has the refrigerator in the upper right corner, our pantry is really a closet where the refrigerator is in the new design, and our stove is where the peninsula/opening to the dining room is in the new design. We have nothing where the pantry in the new design is located, since it is open space in the garage above a stairway to the basement. An architect came and told us we can utilize that space and still not run into problems with the stairs. We also have nothing currently in the space where the new design calls for the stove.

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (16)