SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azcantada

Kitchen remodel advice, small split level, knocking down walls

azcantada
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I could use some help with my kitchen layout for a renovation we're going to start this summer. We're mostly limited to the current measurements, but with knocking down walls, we'll be adding an island. It's a small space, so we'd like to move up right next to the sliding door to the backyard (give or take a few inches).

Current photos in separate comment.

Left wall: 100"
Right wall: 143" currently + 4.5" from knocking down the wall + available 13.5" to patio door trim (about 160)

Wants: island for prep/chocolate work (so no sink, oven), pantry (I'm done trudging up and down the stairs a million times)

Don't wants: OTR microwave (we want something more efficient for the type of cooking we do, although TBH, we currently have a ductless OTR, so anything's gotta be better than that -- we are adding ductwork for this reno)

Keeping the layout mostly the same (we will be moving the dishwasher to the right of the sink and getting a bigger sink), I have the following questions:

• Where am I putting the pantry? If the pantry goes next to the fridge, the corner counterspace next to that and the wall become very awkward, no?
  • Where am I putting a microwave?

If we switch the fridge/pantry with the range, then you have a big 'ol pantry hitting you in your face when you walk in the sliding doors from the backyard, plus there's no landing space for food, dishes, etc. to go when traveling back and forth to the outside. Is this preferable to the weird business going on in the corner?

If you got through all that, I applaud you!!! And I thank you for any guidance you can offer. I'm sure I'm overlooking things or not considering things.

Here are some renderings of options using Ikea's tool, though we likely won't be going with Ikea as the measurements are too limiting for our small kitchen. The first photo is most accurate to our current limitations (there's a wall the fridge is right up next to, so I'm thinking we'll do a 5" broom cabinet so the doors will open fully), and there will be a column next to the island.

Comments (14)