SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slagathor

First time raising rabbits for meat production, questions following.

slagathor
8 years ago

As the title suggests, I'm going to begin raising rabbits for meat production for the first time. In raising rabbits as a pet I'm barely experienced even. So here's my setup: Right now I have 4 chickens that I plan on giving away to a friend or my neighbor, they are in a coop that's approximately 3' x 3 1/2' I think (could be wrong on that, I didn't build it but it's more than enough room for all of them to be in and move around) and that coop is hooked up so the ramp goes directly through the wall of a chain link kennel for dogs (no dogs in it of course). I have a chicken wire roof over the kennel to prevent hawks or cats from jumping in and what I was going to do for the rabbits was dig out approximately 1 foot of dirt and line chicken wire along the walls of the dirt and on the floor and attach it all and fill back in, that way the rabbits will have a natural environment to live in and can still dig if they wanted without being able to get out. Also I have chicken wire wrapped around the bottom of the walls of the kennel so that will help preventing runaway kits. The roof of the coop opens up so I can easily reach in and grab a rabbit if needed. I also have a standalone rabbit hutch from a few years ago that held 2 rabbits I was raising back in high school.

Now for the actual plan.

I was going to start with 1 buck and 1 doe as long as I was able to have them properly identified as male or female. They would both start out in the coop that way they'll both be used to it, the doe would stay in the coop but after they both get used to the scent/area I was going to move the buck to the hutch to live separated but close to the doe. The doe would be having the kits in the coop/kennel area and the rabbits would live in there with the doe until they are all ready to get processed. Whenever breeding time comes I was going to either move the doe to the bucks hutch since she won't have as much room to run away (as bad as that sounds) or move the buck to the kennel since he's used to it. I'm assuming this will work since they won't all be cramped in hutches and will have a somewhat natural environment as well. One problem I'm only slightly aware of is the fact that the floor of the coop is all wood, so I fear that may cause issues if they decide to spend more time in the coop, of course if needed it shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the floor and line it with mesh instead along with supports.

So, does it seem like the above idea wouldn't work by chance? I've been researching this for months but it seems I can never get answers to some of the questions I have and I'm just a young guy that's never done anything like this. Another question is regarding diet. Could they eat normal dried hay or does it have to be fresh greens? I'm looking for the best (wait for it) bang for my buck. Trying to avoid the horrible quality of store-bought meat in my area and this will just bring me that much closer to really meeting that goal since the extra meat is good for my family as well as pets. None of the local rabbit farmers will help me with my information because they just want me to buy their rabbit meat and try to convince me it's a better deal than raising my own. I'm not paying $15 for a 3 pound fryer when I could pay $5-$7 per live rabbit and keep getting more of them from a source where I know how they're being treated and what they're consuming.

Comments (10)