SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clubcracker

I did it! (first time canning, and a question)

11 years ago

Thanks all for your advice in the strawberry jam thread I posted earlier this week.

I armed myself with some half pint jars and followed the recipe on the Sure Jell box. It would have made 8 half pints, but...

when I went to fill the last 2 jars, I only had 1 lid and 2 rings (had them in simmering water). So I have to think that one of my 6 jars has a double lid, where two stuck together in the water.

I canned yesterday so this morning I checked out the jars and they all seem to be sealed. None seems to feel or look weird like it has a double lid...but one of them must? Is this OK? Anyone ever done this before?

The leftovers went into the fridge in a glass container. Had some warm over (strawberry of course) ice cream last night for dessert and got rave reviews from kids and adults alike.

I think it was a good suggestion to try using pectin the first time...it sort of simplified things so I could concentrate on getting the process right. I'll try again with a no-pectin recipe next time (this weekend if there are more ripe berries!).

Thanks again~

Mary

Comments (19)