SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magpiepix

Trying to ID the hostas I inherited. Would you help, please?

magpiepix 5b/6a
8 years ago

I have a few hostas I haven't been able to ID, and it's bothering me. I'm one of those people that really likes to know, or at least have a clue of what's growing in her garden. If you think you have a possible ID, could you share it with me?

1. Blue, cupped, heavily corrugated-- we inherited about 8 large clumps of these when we moved. They're all the same, and I'm guessing they were bought and planted around 2009 or 2010. It's possible it was later, but no later than 2012. Keeps blue color well, and definitely keeps a slightly cupped leaf all summer. I'm thinking Love Pat? Maybe Wishing Well? Not at all sure, though--

2. Green with very slight blue edge, variegation shows up strongly in a month or so once they get more sun-- then the inside can get green/gold, almost to gold/white when the sun really hits it (we're in the process of growing more shade, so I'm not going to move them). Not sure when these were planted.

4. A blue with a slight green edge-- this one is coming out later because it's potted:

3. All green, extremely vigorous, probably here since the late 1990s. It has large white trumpet-shaped flowers that are extremely fragrant. I was thinking it might be Hosta Plantaginea, but could it be a cultivar?

4. This one is brand new today. It came from a neighbor with a fantastic collection of hostas, all gathered in the last 10 years, but he couldn't find the tag. Very large and has a vase growing habit. My transplant chunk isn't pretty right now, but here are the leaves:

1. I think this one is First Frost, but I'm not sure. What do you think? Yellow margins turn white eventually, even in shade. This was a rescue from my father's garden, so I'm pretty sure it would have been a plant available at Home Depot or a similar big-box store about 10 years ago.

That's all! Thanks very much!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor