SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bznmygarden

Hosta I.D. Help, Please...

bznmygarden
14 years ago

Hi All!

I recently purchased a "no-name" special, and need help identifying it. The info here is for its current condition. I don't know the age of the plant, so I'm not sure if has reached its ultimate size. The flower stalk is odd. I thought that it was a case of fasciation, although the stem isn't ridged, flattened or twisted like other plants I've seen with this condition, nor are there tons of flower buds in the leaf axils at the top. The stalk is golden yellow, and the leaves are quite varied - even the leaves emerging from the same crown differ!

Width: 14" Foliage Height: 7" Flower Stalk Height: 11"

Flower Color: Near White (Slight tinge of pale lavender-pink in veins.) Bloom Time: Early June? (It's in bloom now, but I don't know if it was forced during production.)

Leaves: 5" long, slight white bloom on underside, dull leaf surface. Good substance. Some leaves are wavy/twisted, a few have slight puckering. Older leaves are cream, light green and dark green - irregularly marked. Newer leaves are brilliant gold, chartreuse, dark green and light green, and have irregular borders and streaks. The rosette leaves on the bloom stalk are gold with a thin, dark green margin. There are 5 to 8 vein pairs. Petioles are cream.

Its overall habit (not coloration) reminds me of "Whirlwind" - perhaps it's a relative? I've perused the Hosta Library, and several growerÂs websites, butÂ?

I couldnÂt get my photos to upload here, so provided the link to my flickr photostream at the bottom of this message. There are 4 pictures. Check out my pics, and please tell me what you think.

Any/all feedback will be much appreciated!

- Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Flicker

Comments (9)